BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1995 E36 328 Jul Coupe and 1994 E36 325 Oct Coupe - OBD1 diagnostic pick list required.

2K views 15 replies 2 participants last post by  E36Coupe328 
#1 ·
Ok I've read a load of the threads in here and anything pre OBDII seems quite vague or hit and miss.

The warning light thread a few steps down seems a good one for the flash codes.

However, so far a Peake Research tool isn't looking too bad at around £100 / £120 and seeing s there is very little, if any live data pre OBDII might well be the best choice.

However, I would be very interested to hear what others are using for pre OBDII cars for around £100 or less.

Ideally what you have, what it would do, how much and where it's available.

On some other makes an ALDL interface or similar can be made with a couple of resisters and transisters, interesting in anything like this too.

#2 ·
20 hours and no response on here?

Well I guess that answers it then: No there isn't?

#4 ·
OK so 325i flash codes obtained due to this thread

Can anyone give me the pin outs of the 20 Pin BMW socket for the ODB1 car particularly the 325 as I'm wondering if it's basically the same as the "ALDL" as seen on GM.

Could also do with the same for the 328 as it is not ODB2

Thanks

#6 ·
Probably need an old / spare / faulty ECU from somewhere that responds to diagnostics to play with. Interface isn't a problem, depends how cryptic the data stream is.

Just curious really

#8 ·
Do they anserw with EWS missing?

Actually do either of the above have EWS even?

#10 ·
While I have your attention I read various things about the MS41 ECU that I believe will be in my 328.

Some say OBDII others say not., some say flash and some say not. Is this the case? I understand all are OBDII capable but only later ones are running OBDII firmware, or are al OBDII and I just need to "adapt" to the socket?

My understanding is my car is not OBDII by the diag socket having pin 15 (I think) populated.

My car has a build date of WK24 June 1995

Thanks

#11 ·
It was designed to be OBD2 compliant, but it only was fully activated in the US.

OBD2 features are lambda sensors after the cat to monitor that, a check engine light, and the 16 pin OBD2 connector.
It would also have a long term adaptation which it collected data from the short term trims that pretty much everything has.

The older stuff would do everything on the fly, the newer OBD2 type would gather the data and formulate a plan.
The benefit of this is in the dark areas, ie over 3500-ish RPM where the lambda sensor isn't fast enough to supply data.

With the OBD2 adaptation, it already has an idea of what needs to be added or taken away from the areas it can monitor, and it passes these details on.

Full OBD2 compliance wasn't needed in Europe, so BMW left out a lot of those features, purely so you'd stick with BMW for diagnostics.

One of the major features of OBD2 was cheap code readers (even if they can only check on emissions based data) so any garage could diagnose a car without needing 2k of kit from each different manufacturer.

The hardware structure is capable of doing the full OBD2 stuff, but there might be silight differences, such as loom pins in euro ECU might not be connected for the extra post cat lambdas, and the coding for a euro version will cut out the OBD2 data stream.

True OBD2 has to have the 16 pin connector, within reach of the drivers seat, accessible without the need for special tools
It was quite a hit for manufacturers to allow all of this.

It's also noteworthy that on the cars that have both the OBD2 16 pin, and the 20 pin ADS Connector, BMW didn't wire through some of the diag stuff to the obd2, so if you wanted to connect to the car for full diagnostics, you still had to use the 20 pin ADS if fitted.

Pins 15 and 20 in the 20 pin are the diagnostic lines, the data is split over the 2, with the ABS on one, and the ECU on another. I did see something about 4cyls using a different pin too.

MS41 is OBD2 compliant, but not enabled, and has an eeprom soldered on, so ant changes are done via remapping / flashing rather than pulling and swapping a chip.

#12 ·
So a simile would be:

Hardware wise, I've got a fully featured PC

Software wise (ok firmware) I've got a kernel that kicks up and gives me a basic calculator program.

Oh and someone left the keyboard off and gave me a number pad so not too easy to do anything about it if I was bothered.

OK, seeing as you are into tuning, does the OBD1 (lol) inlet manifold trick apply to my OBD1 328?

#14 ·
Isn't it as simple as routing out the inlets to basically get the same from the original manifold?

As my car is OBD1 anyway is it only a 326 manifold I would use?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.