BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

BMW stereo and IPOD

52K views 95 replies 45 participants last post by  Den13 
#1 ·
#9 ·
Even cheaper integration

Here is my Saga on getting IPOD video into Big Bertha, I am still waiting for that elusive creature that has a dension gateway 100/300 with a bluetooth adapter that has full functionality via the steering wheel but hey untill then I will be sticking to the dangly wires :hihi

Clickyhttp://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f9/01-e38-phone-ipod-question-t888/

#11 ·
I've gone for the DICE Silverline mentioned in the first post. one thing I saw on am American forum is that the spec dock for the ashtray si not good for your ipod as it can move around too much and damage it. Haven't had a chance to install yet as it came yesterday and don't want to chance it in the dark. Saturday is D-Day. With delivery it came to just under £95 but promises full integration with the radio including steering wheel control. I'll let you know the outcome once I've done the install.
Fingers crossed :jaw-dropping

#14 ·
I just fitted the DICE Car integration kit I bought myself off ebay for chrimbo yesterday.
Fited in about an hour and no wires to be seen anywhere and absolutely no tools required or drilling!

I managed to fit the control module inside the handbrake/storage tray/coin box area by lifting the coin box and storage tray out.
The ipod itself is hidden away in the tray with the sliding cover with the wire for that going through a gap that was already there into the control module.
The control module then connects to the CD changer cable that was pre wired in the boot area. I ran it under the handbrake/centre console under the passanger seat then alont the lining under the rear door, under the rear seat then just tucked it under the trim in the boot and to the cd changer wires.

In Summary:

Sounds great - Cost £90 off ebay - Can control everything from the steering wheel or head unit - No wires to be seen - artist & track details on head unit.

#12 · (Edited)
Dear All,

I know I have said this in other posts, but I have the Dension 300, without the bluetooth and cd integration. It works fine and have it installed at the rear of the HU in the dash board, withe the Ipod and USB lead sitting in the glove box. Bit of a tight squeeze, but all fits. The only thing that I had to do in order for it to fit is to remove the socket that sits in-line with the OEM socket and splice the cables into that (keeping the original OEM socket). It all works and functions with the steering wheel controls, volume, track change etc. Although I do find it easier to use the buttons on the head unit!

The only fault I do have (again mentioned in other posts) is the text display on the HU. As it is supposed to display the artist and track name, although an issue but not vital!

The USB workls fine also dropping tracks on a pen drive, i have not tried an external HDD as I dont own one that does not require external power!

Hope this helps in members making a decision!

I purchased mine here and delivered the next day!
http://www.ipodcarkitdirect.co.uk/BMW
Densions site:
http://www.dension.com

Cheers all!

#16 ·
I have been told Autoleads do a cable (p\n:pc7-bmw-01) that works straight in to the back of the standard head unit!

i have just sold my 325 as now got a 330 cab with the sat nav and tv so if anyone could help me with connecting my ipod touch to this? that would be sooooooooo great :)

cheers

stu

#19 ·
There are several devices that will integrate your iPod touch for audio, giveing control and text display, but not video. For video you'll need an AV input to the TV tuner or a video source module that goes between the Nav computer and monitor. I don;t know of any devices that give control of video through the head unit.

For Audio integration check out devices like the DICE, Dension Gateway 100 and 300 and the Intravee, all are plug and play into the CD changer connections in the boot when you have Nav. The Dice and Gateway give similar functionality with a single line of text, the Intravee gives more info and menus on the Nav screen.

Not sure where you are in the South West, but I regularly travel down to the Bath/Swindon area, if you'd like to see the DICE or Intravee then your're welcome to have a look at mine.

#20 ·
I thought I'd post a link to a web site offering another option to the Dice kit

http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.php?productid=73&cat=0&page=1

I had this kit in my last car (VW Golf) and it works really well, with a bonus. Tbs kit allows you to use the iPod clicker wheel to pick tracks and navigate as usual when using an iPod. I am looking to buy a kit for my new BMW and after looking on line the Dice kIt was in the running, with it displaying text etc but I watched a video tutorial and it said the the clicker wheel was locked out during operation-is that right??

I find the clicker wheel so much quicker to find artists etc than using the steering wheel or stereo controls needing to flick through one at a time. Due t the amount of material I have on my iPod it takes ages.

Oh and the other plus point for an additional £38 you get an intergrated bluetooth kit for your phone including microphone etc. This stops the music if you recieved a call.
So Dice Kit is £100 and this kit is £80+ the extra if ou want the Bluetooth.

#21 ·
I had a DICE Silverline installed in my E46 330, interfaced to my iPhone - £90 for the DICE and £50 to get it fitted. Uses the CD changer input, sound quality was excellent. Although I could display info on the Satnav screen, and control it from the steering wheel buttons, track selection was really clunky, so I opted to use controls from the iPhone itself, mounted in a holder on the dash which worked really well until either new iPhone software or hardware prevented control from the phone itself, meaning I had to select tracks before connecting the interface.

Now I've swapped the 330 for a 645, I've got it all to do again, thing is DICE don't state compatibility for the 6-series.......

T

#22 ·
Does the track text work on all e46 stereo's? I have the business radio with tape player and CD changer. It is a single line display.

Seriously looking into the Dice or Dension due to the changer not working at present and wanting a smooth Ipod integration.

Thanks

Phil

#23 ·
All E46 Business head units can display text, with exception of some of the early tape units, all CD head units can display text.

If your head unit has a 'CD' button and not 'MODE' then you need to watch out!

Even some of the CD head units with a CD key will display text but require you to press a key to clear the text before any action can be performed. When text is scrolling this makes the head unit almost unusable as every text update resets the requirement to press a key.

#25 ·
Be aware that the dice kit does have problems, check out the thread I started. DICE ownership seemingly is split into camps which have problems and others who don't. Unfortuntely I'm in the 1st group!!
When it works it's fantastic..........

#27 ·
Sorry don't know check out the thread on (e46 fanatics) on dice ownership. I know DICE are based in the states but this post runs to at moment over 2800 posts of people having problems and solutions. There are stories of DICE modules just stopping working but you get the picture. I used a xcarlink in my last car (vw golf gt tdi) and was fantastic, but it didn't display track, artist etc on the display. I was seduced into thinking I needed that- but what I need is to listen to my iPod rather than the radio!!!!!
It might be the same with dension but I only found out the problems one I had bought and had problems, so investigate BEFORE buying!!!
Good luck!!

#29 ·
ok chaps, read through this and although you have answered most questions i have just bought an 2003 E46 330ci sport which has widescreen satnav/tv....

I don tknow if it has radio text yet as i have only used it to drive to work and the missus has been using it in the evenings - hence no time to play about with it yet!

Im looking at the denison units (uses playlists on the ipod as if they are CD's in the changer?), DICE silverline (seems cheaper and seems to display text on teh nav screen, and the intravee which apparently displays mor etxt on the nav screen.

What im worried about is not knowing enough about my headunit, going and buying one of the above adaptors and being disappointed because i have to create playlists on my iphone, and get no txt display. so can someone tell me whether i have txt on my head unit and the likelihood of buying one of the above and getting it to work fully including charging?

i did see a thread on the intravee with an alpine adaptor and a late BMW o.e iphone holder which does everything including charging and displaying all the txt on screen - what do you guys think?

sorry to be a pain and ask similar questions....help is appreciated :)

#33 ·
Cant believe I have'nt spotted this thread before, I have the Dension Gateway 100 connected to my BMW Business CD HU and it's every bit as good as the Alpine CDE HU which had direct full speed iPod access that I had in my last car.

Click here for a bit of a review I did on it.

I had it fitted back in March and I'm still really happy with and since then I've connected a 3.5mm jack plug cable to it so you can connect any auxillary source that has a headphone port such as other MP3 players just by pressing button number 6.

My only gripe with it is it can be a bit difficult to set up using the firmware upgrades which have to be downloaded from the Dension website in the form of MP3 files and uploaded to the Gateway 100 via iTunes and the iPod. I had to do this to get the ID3 tags to work and to turn up the default volume setting as the radio was much louder when toggling between the two sources but once you've done it a couple of times it's easy.

Also I'm lead to believe that you do not get full Gateway functionality when using with an iPhone but with my 5th Gen iPod video I just chuck it into the glovebox and control everything from the HU.

Definately recommended.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.