BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

BMW stereo and IPOD

52K views 95 replies 45 participants last post by  Den13 
#1 ·
#34 ·
I have used the it rip many times with my iPod and thought it's a good solution, even I have to readjust the frequency every now and then.
But mainly using it coz there was no hardwire possible. With the mp3-cassette it's a cable solution at no costs.
Alternatively I am thinking of getting a new car-stereo with an audio-jack plug in the future.

#35 ·
Guys, some interesting comments here. What I'm trying to do is have a fully integrated Ipod/phone/pad with full functionality via the IDrive screen. Basically have a second system running through the screen with maybe a switch to go back to IDrive if needed meaning that if I'm switched into Iphone then all I see is a bigger version of my Iphone on the screen and ideally can still be controlled via the wheel and the voice control button.

Not sure if anyone has done this before but if not I'm determined to be the first!

Any ideas?

#36 ·
IPOD connection

HI the link loks good but does this type of connection mean I loose the use of my cd changer in th eboot? Is there any thing that I can use to have ipod and cd changer?? Any one help? Thank you
I have e46 saloon 318i with the changer in the boot.

#41 ·
Ipod + OE BMW Professional - E88

Went to my local friendly main BMW dealer at the weekend to see how much it would be to retrofit the ipod option to my recently acquired E88 135i. "Only" £214 for the unit - oh, plus around 3 hours labour, so total c.£600! Apprently the fitting takes 45 minutes, the rest is "reprogramming" the car!

If anyone knows of any solution to putting a retro fit ipod device that enables control of the ipod from the stereo, please let me know.

#43 ·
The ones which really look good for everything seem so to be

* Gateway 500
* m0bridge
* Intravee II

What I am having troble finding out is if all 3 can:

* work with the idrive
* allow blutooth and audio control via steering wheel

and off course which one is the cheapest one :-s

thanks

#44 ·
I have just fitted a Dension Gateway 500 into my 05 E61. The unit cost £330 and you can add bluetooth to it for around £60.

It took me around an hour to fit it and it intergrates with both the I Drive and the steering wheel controls perfectly.

I am hoping to add the AVR interace to it as soon as the dealer has them in stock. This will enable me to watch movies off the Ipod on the Idrive screen and distribute to other screens in the car.

#52 ·
is it a straightforward nuts and bolts affair to swap the 6 cd changer out for the denison BOOKWYSE? no software updates etc required?

#46 ·
Yep, with the Dension you can buy a proper Iphone cradle that will allow you to mount the phone in it and allow the controls from the steering wheel and Idrive to operate it. With the optional BT unit you could then connect the phone to the unit and make hands free calls all via the correct buttons in the car.

One of my Ipods now lives in the glove box of the car all the time.

#47 ·
i'm still thinking for an E60 the OEM ipod installation is still the way to go - cost approx £300 from a knowledgeable Indy or closer to £500 from the stealers

#49 ·
already have bluetooth in the car - this would be to stick a 8gb ipod in the glove box full of music - and be able to control via iDrive/steering wheel.
i asked a friend about those FM transmitters people stick their ipods onto and then tune the radio. He said the quality of the sound varies quite a bit - depending on atmospheric conditions and local radio frequencies ..... i've given up that line of investigation!

#50 ·
The FM transmittors, been there done it and agree with you..not my kind of tea. It's got to be a fully integrated solution like one of these for me:

* Gateway 500
* m0bridge
* Intravee II

From the looks of it I think all three would cost around £450ish for supply and fit. Does that sound about right to people here or have bimmer chaps got it / done it for cheaper?

cheers

#51 ·
You can get the Gatway 500 from Safe N Sound in Croydon for £330 and then the bluetooth adapter (not sure on price). I am in Sittingbourne, Kent and if you come over to me I will them for you. It took me about an hour to do mine and I am sure I can do them quicker now I know what I am doing.

#53 · (Edited)
As long as you can read mp3s from the main cd player then it is a very simple job. You dont lose the multiplayer either as you can switch between the ipod and the changer. You can even use a usb stick if you wanted to!!

There are no updates required at all.

All you do is:

1) Remove the glove box. (4 screws)
2) Remove the cd changer (2 captive hex bolts)
3) Lower the lower dash cover (4 screws)
4) Remove the optics cable from the cd changer lead (just unclips)
5) Wire negative and live cable for the unit to the CD changer wiring. I used scotch blocks. This is foolproof as these are the only two wires apart from the optics to the cd changer.
6) Plug in optics cable from unit to cd changer plug.
7) Plug in optics cble from car lead to unit.
8) Attach all other cables to unit (one for ipod, one for usb and one for switch between changer and ipod.
9) Test.
10) Mount the unit somewhere under the dash and refit everything.

And that is all there is to it.

Jeff

Piccies of my glovebox etc after the install. THe USB connector is on the left, the ipod is on the right along with the switch to switch between the ipod and the changer:

#55 ·
use windows medi aplayer or Itunes to burn the mp3's to cd and test in in the front single cd on your centre console - if they play - what bookwyse is saying is you don't need a code upgrade.

thanks for the pics bookwyse - i will start looking into a dension!!

#62 ·
use windows medi aplayer or Itunes to burn the mp3's to cd and test in in the front single cd on your centre console - if they play - what bookwyse is saying is you don't need a code upgrade.
Make sure that you burn them as an mp3 cd, not as an audio cd from mp3s.

If you get ~100 songs on a cd, it's an mp3 (or wma) cd - if you only get 10-20 it's an ordinary audio cd which will play regardless of whether your player plays mp3s

#56 ·
Thats correct, if your CD player under the I drive screen plays MP3's then you dont need any software updates. I believe that there is also a way to do it even if you need the update but I didnt look into this as I didnt need to.

The instructions I followed were only those available on the Dension website, however as an EX radio Tech in the Army I as used to playing with these sort of things.

If anyone wants any help doing the Dension upgrade, then I am willing to help either by coming and fitting or fitting at my home for them.

PM if you need any help.

Jeff

#60 ·
That's very gracious of you mate - i may come down to Kent one of these days!!! :thumbsup

#57 · (Edited)
The number of people buying a dension on this website must be a lot..I think there is a great opportunity here to offer the members of this forum a special rate and in return get a heck of a lot of business going there way.

If you are a company selling Densions or other kits then may be it's something to consider.

#61 ·
Reactions: andyf
#63 · (Edited)
you learn something new every day - will try this ^^^

what's the best software for a windows 7 machine???

i have been using "burnforfree" but i havn't seen an option to burn mp3's directly onto a cd????

#65 ·
tried it - no joy - looks like i need a firmware update to my car .... anyone know costs before i install the denison????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.