325I
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    MANUAL
    Car Body Type:
    CONVERTIBLE
    Thanks
    Hi

thought this might be handy for some after my hood wouldnt go back up after the battery died in my e36 '94

after searching the internet i found a way how to reset the hood and motors without having to go to main dealer or using any tools.

I have written a quick help guide that should have all the details you need. As i said this happened in my '94 e36 convertible so others years may differ but i dont recall that they do off the top of my head, others may be able to confirm

to start you need to have your roof down and motors disengaged

to do this pull the lever all the way that is located under the rear seats and has a red handle/strap

lower the roof all the way into its bin as it would normally operate.

Now you need to open the boot which may require you to push the hood cover down a little to open the boot fully

in the boot there are two motors. 1 for the hood itself and the other for the lid. It is important that they work in the correct sync.

Both motors are behind the boot linings on the left hand side (nearside) of your car so remove the boot lining to show the motors

when you pulled the handle under the seat it disengages the motors so now you need to engage them again simply by pushing them back in by hand

make sure that the motors are seated correctly

once that is done close the boot and get into your car.

Without the ignition on hold the hood button in the close position. Keep it held down and turn the ignition on keeping the button held down continuosly throughtout

after about 12-15 seconds the hood cover should be sucked down into place and after a few more seconds (maximum 10-15) the hood should start its closing procedure

close the roof fully as you normally would and your hood is now reset and motors re-synced

now this didnt happen first time for me, it took a few time before it did of popping the motors in and out of place and ensuring the hood was seated properley in the bin.

Once complete run the hood up and down a couple of times to ensure it is working properley , put the boot linings back and hey presto your done with no tools or expensive dealer trips.

Hope it helped

8 DIFFERENT BIMMAS AND STILL WANT MORE

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BIMMER19 For This Useful Post:

Cataclysm (10-02-2012),joylove (30-06-2012),Ronnie (27-12-2011)

3. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    m3evoz3mz4's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    z4
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Roadster

Thanks
    Hi there

Thanks for this guide, my hoods been down over the winter and now that ive taken the hardtop off the roof wouldn't operate at all. After trying your procedure I get to the holding button down and now have a clicking noise after 10-15 seconds but that's it, any ideas?
    Previous:
    M3 Evo smg (lol yes!)
    Z3M roadster

Current:
    Z4 3.0
    M3 Evo Cab (manual this time!)