BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

How to fit e46 front wishbone rear bushes

106K views 73 replies 45 participants last post by  daveyf1983 
#1 · (Edited)
Did my powerflex bushes today, and took a few pics to try and explain what i did,
Fist of all i jacked the car up and put it on axle stands

next i took off the front plastic that fits from the front bumper to the lower metal brace,(wind deflector?) the plastic deflector has 3 plastic gromets securing it to the bumper, and 7 philips screws securing it to the metal brace plate.

this is the brace plate removed, 8 x 16mm bolts.

the bushes also use 2x 16mm bolts, when removed you can be pull the arm downwards to aid removal.
before

after

i had to use a 2 legged puller to get the old bush off, as it was stuck tight.
once the bush was off, i fitted the inner part of the new powerflex bush, see below.

then i fitted the outer bush, and lolly pop over the top, ready for fitting.

than i bolted it up to the car.

repeat for the other side and then stand back and admire your work!

refit every thing in the reverse order of removal.

job done
i thought it all went well until............................................

the car fell off the axle stands while i was jacking it up to remove the axle stands! doh luckily the wheels were on

but i now need a new jack:frown

See less See more
#4 ·
You made that sound FAR TOO EASY:hihi

I have also carried out this job on an E46;)

You missed out the difficult part for someone that doesn't have replacement lollipops:rofl

What is it about E46's falling off of axle stands:mad

Glad you had the wheels on:thumbsup

Great write up:cool

#5 ·
Glad you like it! yes it was a funny feeling jacking up the car and seeing it slowy drifting your way while trying to pushing it in the oppersite direction with your free hand:thumbsup. The worst part was replacing the track rod end! I would have done a how to, but the dame thing wouldn't budge. So i had to cut it off with a grinder:jaw-dropping It took longer to remove that than it did to do the bushes, start to finish:rofl

#7 ·
when you buy the powerflex bushes im guessing you dont get the replacement lollipop so where did you get the new one?? im guessing the one you have is new, certainly looks it in the pics!

#8 ·
I got the lollipops off a member on here! we have been doing a scheme where we send our old lollipops to some one on here who needs them for there car, and they can then put the poly bushes in them ready for fitting, When you do the job offer them up and see if any1 else wants them, all you have to do is pay £5 to the web site and tehy will be posted off. Just make sure yours are the 66mm ones.

#37 ·
Hey nice guide, but not sure if I understand this correctly?

by lollipop I presume you mean the metal housing?

I don't understand how I am suppose to send mine off as would mean I couldn't drive the car, unless of course some one has donated these to the site and the old ones are sent onwards for people to get them pressed?

Is that right? if so, who's got them now will look at getting mine changed soon!

#38 ·
I know that this is an old thread, but this may be useful for anyone reading that is about to do this job...

This guide makes the job out to be much easier than it actually is - realigning the bracket/bush with the control arm end can be a pain if you haven't managed to get the new bush perfectly onto the arm end - also fitting the Powerflex bushes into the bracket is easy, getting the old bushes out is a major pain in the arse!! Took an hour of hacksawing and vice squashing to get the two removed, fortunately only 5 minutes to push the new bush into the bracket.

I have read many threads saying "wow, what a difference after fitting", ignore the hype, they felt no different to simply replacing with a new set of OEM bushes BUT the Powerflex bushes do have longevity and will outlast OEM.

Moral of the story, don't replace your bushes with Powerflex expecting your suspension/steering to feel immaculate afterwards because that isn't the case, the difference (if any) is unnoticable. Replace with Powerflex if you don't fancy handing £220 to BMW for OEM parts that won't last as long, as if you have a good few hours spare to do it :D

#20 ·
Changing E46 Bushes

Excellent Write up:thumbsup.

As I was about to pay alot of money to have my bushes replaced. But after reading this post I think I will take on the challenge myself. But firstly as I am new to this forum I was wondering how I go about getting the lollipops from this site first.

#21 ·
Excellent Write up:thumbsup.

As I was about to pay alot of money to have my bushes replaced. But after reading this post I think I will take on the challenge myself. But firstly as I am new to this forum I was wondering how I go about getting the lollipops from this site first.
have you measured the size of yours first? are they 60 or 66mm?

#23 ·
How Do I know When to change the wishbone and bushes?

I have a 2000 E46 3 Series Saloon. The steering does not feel that balanced and when driving at high speeds and when braking the car moves slightly to one side. My wheels are balanced and tracked so that does not seem to be the problem. Is it the wishbone that needs replacing then? how can I tell???

#25 · (Edited)
Right so, basically I need to get this done!! I have measured the lollipops and I'm pretty sure they are 66mm (Using a crappy tape measure they are certainly larger than 60mm).

Now for the questions:

1. The Lollipops, how do I obtain these?

2. Are these lollipops just standard items with the rubber cut out the centre?

3. Does the new bush have to be pressed into the lollipop?

4. Are these the correct part?

5. Is this the price for 2 or each???

Cheers Peeps. :D

#26 ·
Right so, basically I need to get this done!! I have measured the lollipops and I'm pretty sure they are 66mm (Using a crappy tape measure they are certainly larger than 60mm).

Now for the questions:

1. The Lollipops, how do I obtain these?

2. Are these lollipops just standard items with the rubber cut out the centre?

3. Does the new bush have to be pressed into the lollipop?

4. Are these the correct part?

5. Is this the price for 2 or each???

Cheers Peeps. :D
1&2&3:you have two on your car already. youre right, theyre just the oem ones with the poly bushes pressed in. They have a metal sleeve in them that has to come out too.
Usually priced in pairs and your link doesnt work...:D

edit:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=140066

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.