BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

how to change an e46 gear lever, done on my 2000 323ci e46

25K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Oz Striker 
#1 ·
After debating for a while on what to get i decided i would put a z4 shorter gear lever on. So as usual i did a how to.
First off the car was put on ramps, you will see i have the rear lifted as well

i also measured the height of the original lever as it sits now.

Right, first pull the gator away from the sides and lift it up.

after lifting the gator i then pulled the knob hard upwards and it came straight off. Carefull though as i hit the rearview mirror with the back of my hand.

Unscrew the 2 cross head screws and lift the panel upwards slightly. enough to undo the window plugs.

Seen here.

lift out the foam pad
then you will see a rubber sealing pad, this just prisses out.

Now you can see where the lever sits in to the bush,

from underneith you can see where the clip holds the underside to the shifter arm. Just pull the clip off and pop the arm out.

And it will hang down

Here is the new shifter lever next to the old one, to take the old lever out just rotate the white plastic ring anticlock wise 1/4 turn, it will just pull out now,

The new lver sits straight back in, i already pushed the new bush on and dropped it in the hole, turning 1/4 turn clockwise to lock in place,

When putting the shifter arm back on to the lever bottom i found that i didn't need the yellow spacers from the old lever as this was slightly wider. Put back together in the revearse order.
here is a pick of the new lever height!,

First impresions are that ist a little notchy in to 3rd, and the throw is very short!, i will let you know when i get used to it!

See less See more
#3 ·
ordered mine today, so ill get it on using this helpful 'how-to' and let you know what i think of it

#5 ·
Great DIY :thumbsup the pics help a lot, i'll look into doing this soon.

Do you have the part no. for the Z4 shifter? Its just that some shift rods are known to grind slightly against the drive shaft (Z3 one if i remember correctly)

Also out of interest how wide are your DIY ramps & what sizes of tyres are you running? I ask 'cause i plan to making my own pretty soon to make some jobs a little easier. TIA

#6 ·
I had this worrie to, but after another member on here did this and said he had clearance i did the same, and he was right, there is plenty of room under there!, The only fault i have with this lever is the fact it is a straight shaft and not bent like the others, so it sits a little forward compared to the other, and i some times catch my hands against the front lever hole where it meets the flap for the cig lighter compartment!

The ramps are scaffold boards, and my tyres are 225 18 front 255 18 rears, fit on just fine!

#11 ·
Thread resurrection. No mate, though i did buy the shifter, just never got round to fitting it! :frown And wont bother now as I'm going to be selling my 330 fairly soon. Will be putting the shifter and kit (all the clips and stuff) up for sale shortly once I find it, packed up in one of dozens of boxes!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.