BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

E46 - DIY Fixed Keyfob

13K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Sparky68 
#1 ·
Recently both my keyfobs stopped working (thread here) and I wanted to try my luck fixing them (guide).

Have posted this up due to a lot of people assuming the battery has died when their keyfob stops working, but
this isn't always the case. My battery still retained 3V so further inspection was needed.

To open, use a stanley knife and gently cut around the circumference until both parts separate.

Observe the two red circles, the left most was a dry solder joint, the right a broken SMC joint to the switch.

I kept the original battery connectors so the battery can be easily swapped out when depleted. There is adequate
pressure between the back casing and PCB for contact. To remove the battery, use needle nosed pliers to support
then cut the solder spots a stanley knife.

To test, I simply re-inserted the PCB and battery then rubber banded the key together. It immediately started
functioning with out any re-programming needed :thumbsup At this stage you may well glue the key back together, but
I decided to order a blank eBay key with the intention of using my PCB for a new key look.

In conclusion, check out all solder joints and your battery.

See less See more
#3 ·
After trying a lot of locksmiths without success, I found Anglia locksmiths and spoke to a helpful guy named
Mark who does cutting by post and provides an 1:1 copy. Supplying the master key with two blanks cost £15
inc return postage with a two day turn-a-round.

Both keys arrived today and work great. Only have to swap-out the electronics into the new fob which has
only cost circa £20 :thumbsup 100% recommend Anglia locksmiths.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.