Model of Car:
    323i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible

Thanks
    Hello bimmer gurus. I am having an absolute nightmare with the windows on my car. I'll start with what it is:

BMW 323i convertible
    1999 (e36)

Over the past few weeks I have been trying to solve an issue where the driver and passenger windows would perform their auto hop up & down feature in sync whilst driving along. After plenty of hours reading around I figured it would be a problem with the microswitch in the door. Having replaced the passenger window motor before I felt confident I could rectify this problem myself.

Today I got 2 new units which hold the door in place and have the little button that would operate this "hop" feature. When getting back from the post office however, I noticed the passenger window now left about a 2 inch gap from the roof.

1. I took the door panel off for a look. Nothing was obvious, checked the runners; ok, everything was greased up from before.
    2. I disconnected the window motor and re-connected it, but forgot to reconnect the lower connecter (there are two, top and bottom, I didn't re-connect the bottom).
    3. I rolled the window down to try the limit setting technique (holding down for 10 secs etc). Noticing the lower connecter on the motor was off, i re-connected it.
    4. I tried to roll the window up but it now doesn't move and is stuck fully open!

It is as if the car now believes that the window is fully closed when in actual fact it is fully open! The motor seems to be working fine though.. But it's as if by disconnecting that lower connecter it has reset the upper limit of the window, and now I can't even roll it up to set it again! :-/

I have tried:
    1. Disconnecting the battery for about 30 secs
    2. Checking all the runners, etc.
    3. Checking all the arms aren't bent.

Is there some way to manually get the window to go up? I understand there is a safety feature that sets the upper limit of the window, can this be disabled? I'm in a right pickle as I live in England and its raining in my car right now. Aside from taping a bin bag over the window is there anything I can do? I've been working on it for hours and really don't want to resort to taking it to BMW and getting a huge bill!

If anyone could please help I'd be very grateful. Look forwards to any replies.

Thanks,

Al

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Dcapo's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318 ci se
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible

Thanks
    Hi. I have the crazy scenario of my passenger window going up and down on its own. I never noticed it before I'm pretty sure I would have.

My alarm kept going off and I've changed he battery thinking it could have been that.
    now even when I'm driving the window does the hop as if he door is opening and closing.

Is it easy to take off door panel. I mean I've never taken a panel off with an airbag in.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Dcapo's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318 ci se
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible

Thanks
    I just realised I have an e46. Not sure what differences there are with the door systems.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Car Details
    payno's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3 Evo S Type R
    Year of Manufacture:
    1998 2003
    Transmission Type:
    Manual Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,933 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcapo View Post
    Hi. I have the crazy scenario of my passenger window going up and down on its own. I never noticed it before I'm pretty sure I would have.

My alarm kept going off and I've changed he battery thinking it could have been that.
    now even when I'm driving the window does the hop as if he door is opening and closing.

Is it easy to take off door panel. I mean I've never taken a panel off with an airbag in.

Any help would be appreciated.
    just remove the battery lead for 15 mins before you start
    there is a micro switch that is part of the door locking mechanism
    read the post by edber in this thread for an explanation
    2002 E46 320d SE Driver Door Microswitch Fault