Hello bimmer gurus. I am having an absolute nightmare with the windows on my car. I'll start with what it is:
BMW 323i convertible
Over the past few weeks I have been trying to solve an issue where the driver and passenger windows would perform their auto hop up & down feature in sync whilst driving along. After plenty of hours reading around I figured it would be a problem with the microswitch in the door. Having replaced the passenger window motor before I felt confident I could rectify this problem myself.
Today I got 2 new units which hold the door in place and have the little button that would operate this "hop" feature. When getting back from the post office however, I noticed the passenger window now left about a 2 inch gap from the roof.
1. I took the door panel off for a look. Nothing was obvious, checked the runners; ok, everything was greased up from before.
2. I disconnected the window motor and re-connected it, but forgot to reconnect the lower connecter (there are two, top and bottom, I didn't re-connect the bottom).
3. I rolled the window down to try the limit setting technique (holding down for 10 secs etc). Noticing the lower connecter on the motor was off, i re-connected it.
4. I tried to roll the window up but it now doesn't move and is stuck fully open!
It is as if the car now believes that the window is fully closed when in actual fact it is fully open! The motor seems to be working fine though.. But it's as if by disconnecting that lower connecter it has reset the upper limit of the window, and now I can't even roll it up to set it again! :-/
I have tried:
1. Disconnecting the battery for about 30 secs
2. Checking all the runners, etc.
3. Checking all the arms aren't bent.
Is there some way to manually get the window to go up? I understand there is a safety feature that sets the upper limit of the window, can this be disabled? I'm in a right pickle as I live in England and its raining in my car right now. Aside from taping a bin bag over the window is there anything I can do? I've been working on it for hours and really don't want to resort to taking it to BMW and getting a huge bill!
If anyone could please help I'd be very grateful. Look forwards to any replies.