welcome/home light wiring circuit for unlock/locking.

Notices

Thread: welcome/home light wiring circuit for unlock/locking.

Reply to Thread
  1. welcome/home light wiring circuit for unlock/locking. 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    arrow3060's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316ti se
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Images
    Thanks
    Hi, i recently fitted factory fogs to my e46 compact m sport. And I really want to add welcome/home light feature that newer cars come with.

when unlocking/locking the interior lights fade in and out, so wiring it up to them would be ideal. I searched all over the net on how to do it and there is so many different ways.

I drew up a circuit on microsoft paint in the most simplest forms to understand. All i want is someone who is more electrical minded to overlook it and maybe advise me.

wiring for welcome lights.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    P_Monty's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330Ci Msport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible

Images
    Thanks
    My brain is still in christmas shutdown mode at the moment but here are my thoughts...
    The way that's wired, the fog lights will be on if either they're switched on or the interior lights are on - is that what you want?
    I'd be inclined to have the feed from one of the green line diodes feeding a relay which then drives the fogs...

Another random thought - as a relative newbie to BMWs - is there easy access to the wires for the fogs - or is it all can-bus stuff that you'd have to hack into somehow?

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    arrow3060's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316ti se
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Images
    Thanks
    the fog lights wiring are easy to access as i just fitted the fogs to my car. i was also thinkin of a relay after the diode because there is a slight voltage drop, and a relay only needs a small amount of power to turn on something more powerful. yeah the flaw is that if the interior light is only it will turn the fogs on. But fitting a kill switch on the green wire where the fuse is would make this mod optional or i can turn the feature off, for instance if im hoovering the car.

another idea was to wire the fogs to the accessory wire in the ecu box under the bonnet which is powered when the unlock or lock button is pressed. but not 100% with that idea.

any more ideas or advice would be much a appreciated.