BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

warning light removal

753 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  PromETHieus 
#1 ·
Hey guys can anyone shed some light on how to remove the airbag warning light on a 2000 e46 318 se, its driving me nuts!

#2 ·
Get yourself the correct lead obd to usb, if you have an old lappy, install INPA, or you could set it up on a normal tower pc and cart it to garage, get it all set up and running, then use the software to reset the warning, but bear in mind, you must have a faulty connection somewhere, so you would need to sort that before attempting to reset the warning, just check under passenger seat first to check that the airbag connector is in place, if it is, disconnect it and see if the connections are a bit rusty, clean them up reconnect and then try the reset, it should be able to tell you what sensor is at fault, but the reason I mentioned the passenger one, is that it is probably the most common one, what with the passenger seat getting moved in different directions and such, this is what was wrong on my one.

#4 ·
it should be a wire coming from the carpet under the seat, think it has 2 wires, it actually goes to the seatbelt pre tensioner which is like, or is a small explosive ram like thing which kicks in when you have a crash viable enough for the airbags to deploy. There may also be a occupancy sensor in the passenger seat also and this is a wire that runs under the fabric of the seat and this senses if there is a person in the seat at the time of an accident. This particular thing commonly gets damaged when people kneel on the seat, say to reach something in the back or when they lean across from the passenger side to drivers side to pick something up that they forgot, but the kneeling action often breaks the wire and causes an airbag light also to come on. Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.