Model of Car:
    318ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Hi Guys, I have a E46 Model 318Ci with a N42 Engine.

I am having a problem with engine rough idle beetween 1K and 2K revs .

I have tried disconnecting the valvetronic motor or ECU , and from the engine works perfectly , obviously valvetronic is disconnected.

On the plugging the valvetronic system again I will have the same problem again.

I have replaced the valvetronic servomotor but I did not solve the problem.

I really dont know what might be the solution to this prob at the moment.

Some have claimed that the valvetronic system might need calibration but no one assured that this would solve the problem .

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    TheEnd's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,990 Times in 2,440 Posts
    Get your self some diagnostic kit and look for codes, the motor, an eccentric shaft that the motor turns, and the ECU that controls the valvetronic can all have problems.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Bimmereuropeboy's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Thanks for the replay '' TheEnd'' I have a Diagnostic tool an Autel when the system is connected all no fault codes comes out but when I unplug the motor ,the sensor or the DME ,comes up lot of fault codes but as I told you as soon as I connect the system again I arise the codes no codes will come out. I bought the car with this problem I don't know if it built a 143hp , but many people drove the car an they all thing that it's have a 143hp .... If you know something please tell me .

I really appreciate

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    TheEnd's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,990 Times in 2,440 Posts
    I'd get one of these-
    BMW USB Diagnostics OBD Cable Interface lead Ediabas Inpa GT1 DIS | eBay

That'll read more codes, and it'll also read the codes from the Valvetronic ECU.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Hi guys now days I am working pretty good without the valvetronic system I think also the fuel consumption it's not that bad the most that i do is aprox 30.1 mpg or 20mpg but were I live the roads are not tall and a lot of traffic every were every second you need to change the gear but as I said I am worrking very good with it .

But now I am noticing that when you give a pretty long ride to the car when it's on idle it rev's up buy it self not more than 1500rpm > To stop the engine to this I am switching on the AC and it stop's reving buy it self ...

That all for now folks >>> keep on posting ,thanks very much !!!

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    BMW523i2006's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    523i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    hello guys,

i have the same problem
    after suffering of testing and trying nothing fixed the problem!

last test the engineer said that to change the engine oil + filter then he will re program the valvetronice !!!!
    and if it didn't work he will replace it, and if didn't work he will change the whole car computer !!!
    i'm worried of that, because he will keep trying !!!... and it not showing any problem with the computer test .. no sensors were broken or anything else wrong !!!!!

if i disconnect the VVT what could happen?

anyone can advise about this annoying problem, thanks in advance.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    jimbmw's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318 ci se Coupe
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    I had the same problem regarding idling and EML was coming on regularly. I put the car in for an MOT and service 2 weeks ago, and am collecting it tomorrow. The problem was the 8 valve 'fingers' which open and close. I was told they are central to most of the cars functioning. I was shown the worn parts and was advised that they cost £35 each. Mechanic stated that he had trouble locating the problem as no fault codes were showing on his BMW diagnostic equipment. Was up tonight for a test run prior to MOT tomorrow and its like driving a new car! It's a 2001 E46 318ci, and has 86000k. Mechanic added that it had not been serviced well in the past. I originally thought cylinder head probs due to emulsified oil etc, which would've cost around £1800 in repairs. Result was £800 for everything including service, MOT etc. car runs like as dream now, just hope to get it back tomorrow without any more issues...

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    shaft69's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    GTI with meth injection
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    3dr hatch

Thanks
    If fit new motor got teach-in end stops, But very rarely motors go faulty usually vvt control unit. When disconnect either ecu or motor just runs at max lift like any normal engine.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    I am not shure but probably It will go on limp mode/home

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Hi guys so I made a big progress in my car without spending all that money ..so from were I am going to start .....

I had rough idle problem and was very angry about it was going from 800rpm to 2500rpm aprox I had a fault code 2783 Hot Film air-mass flow sensor but i did't worry to much about that code... I noticed that when i disconnect the air flow sensor when the engine is on the rough idle stops but guys without the air flow sensor the mpg goes really down believe me you will see the fuel tank go down :P

my air flow sensor was pirate ,I bought an original one but second hand and believe me I mad a big progress !!!!!<<<< But it still had some rough idle till 1500rpm ...I decided to check the throttle body and some other sensors in the intake manifold .I also found that i had an air leak from the breather pipe that is located on the top of the intake manifold i solved it and cleaned some sensors such as throttle body and some other sensor that were located ON the intake manifold ...

God's listen to all the prays the idle problem was solved no rough idle. I smoked a 320d 2006 i think it's 170bhp so in one word the car is driving good...

Only one problem is reaming with the Check Engine Light on a code'' monitering valve tronic servo motor '' or something like that but i shure that something with the valve tronic BUT I can fell that the valve tronic is working good because it feels that from 5000rpm to 6000rpm the car looks like it starts pulling again power ...

So guys I'm an 18 year old boy...On the internet you can find all the info you need ,before spending all that money to mechanics etc do the home work well ...Only 1 tool is needed I am using the Autel MaxiDiag with 180e i am solving the problem on my own .my car have 110.000miles

SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH IF SOME NEEDS TO ASK DON'T WORRY FEEL FREE this link my be helpfully...

Welcome, BMW fans!