Strange problem on E36 318Ti compact ('95)(FIXED)

Notices

Thread: Strange problem on E36 318Ti compact ('95)(FIXED)

Reply to Thread
  1. Strange problem on E36 318Ti compact ('95)(FIXED) 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Keta's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Hey guys,

First post, a problem would you have guessed it. Glad I have found this forum. My whole family have BMW's so I think i'm in the right place. This isn't my car but is quite similiar, it is my currently broken down mothers car.

The car is an N reg 318Ti. She returned to the car after shopping and started it as usual. The fuel gauge shot up to full before then dropping to nothing with the fuel warning light on. She at first thought, as there was 3/4 a tank, somebody had syphoned off fuel. But on the return trip home the car also went right over to the red on temp too! She decided to continue home instead of stopping for fuel and then shut it off. The car will now do nothing, not attempt to crank at all. You cannot hear the click of a solenoid or nothing. The fuel gauge will shoot up to full, then to nothing and dance about like this every now and again.

It is hard to follow the wiring on this car but I believe the relay that could be at fault is not present on the compact version of this car.

Can anyone give a possible diagnosis to this problem. Many thanks for anyone spending the time to read this.

Ian

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,052 Times in 5,322 Posts
    What happens if you turn the lights on and try cranking the car over?

have you tried to jump start the car at all either?

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Keta's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Cheers Ronnie,

The car is an automatic, I should have mentioned,

Tried cranking with headlights to see if they dimmed. Then found no live on solenoid lead but there was at ignition switch.

I downloaded the electrical troubleshooting manual from a link posted on the forum. Found that there was no live to the solenoid/starter motor from the EWS 11 control module, but when I connected a live wire to the (black/yellow) lead the starter operated. So the car was immobilised. Moved on to look at the EWS 11 transmitter module and saw on the diagram that it has a live feed from fuse F46 - guess what blown – replaced fuse - car starts – fuel gauge no longer swinging from full to empty – problem solved.

Fuse 46 is for the brake lights!!!!! Looking at the diagram it appears that fuses 31 (clock/warning signal) and 28 (automatic transmission) could also immobilise the car.

In future I will check all the fuses first – maybe save a few days

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keta For This Useful Post:

Ronnie (22-02-2009),steve23002 (22-02-2009)

6. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

RYM
    Legendary BFuk Member
    Car Details
    RYM's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,935 Times in 3,119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keta View Post
    Cheers Ronnie,

The car is an automatic, I should have mentioned,

Tried cranking with headlights to see if they dimmed. Then found no live on solenoid lead but there was at ignition switch.

I downloaded the electrical troubleshooting manual from a link posted on the forum. Found that there was no live to the solenoid/starter motor from the EWS 11 control module, but when I connected a live wire to the (black/yellow) lead the starter operated. So the car was immobilised. Moved on to look at the EWS 11 transmitter module and saw on the diagram that it has a live feed from fuse F46 - guess what blown – replaced fuse - car starts – fuel gauge no longer swinging from full to empty – problem solved.

Fuse 46 is for the brake lights!!!!! Looking at the diagram it appears that fuses 31 (clock/warning signal) and 28 (automatic transmission) could also immobilise the car.

In future I will check all the fuses first – maybe save a few days
    This was a pleasure to read. It's great to see a member use the information available and rectify the fault themselves

Excellent work... I take it we can now add a (FIXED) to the thread title