Sept 1995 E36 328i, not cranking!(FIXED)

Notices

Thread: Sept 1995 E36 328i, not cranking!(FIXED)

Reply to Thread
  1. Sept 1995 E36 328i, not cranking!(FIXED)†
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Jacko_'s Car Details
    Model of Car:
    323i, M535i, 328 Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    some time in the past
    Transmission Type:
    Manual (i'm not American)
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe and Saloon

Thanks
    Sorry for this being my first post but my car isn't starting, i'm not in the AA and i need my car back on the road (will have to sort the AA out tonight incase i need a lift with the car)

Ok, so the car was fine and i'll bullet point the way the problems came about;
    • unlocked on the remote and went shopping
    • locked the car at the shops on the remote
    • unlocked after shopping with the remote
    • drove home, car didn't lock on the remote so locked on the key
    • opened the back of the remote to check the batteries to replace them didn't put them back in for a good while (over a minute)
    • tried starting the car without the batteries in the remote (and without the remote gubbins in the remote) it didnít start!
    • got fresh batteries in the remote
    • fitted one of them the wrong way round! Doh! Still didnít start or lock/unlock on the remote
    • corrected the battery fitting mistake
    • still couldn't unlock / lock with the remote
    • re-sync'd the fob
    • car now locks and unlocks on the remote
    • car still doesn't start
    • checked relays - seem fine (swapped them over)
    • borrowed carsoft and laptop from a mate, found two errors - 1st being cam sensor when checking the DME, 2nd was "key 1 not recognised" when i checked EWS (key was in the barrel)

Is the Cam sensor related to it not starting, itís not even cranking so i think the EWS is the problem but how do i know what needs replacing?

I have a spare EWS and ring around the ignition barrel from a 98 car, i even have a full key set from the 98 car but the key is a different design of course.

Really sorry to barge in and start asking for help but i really need my car back on the road and can't afford to take the car to BMW to have it fixed right now! :(

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    TheEnd's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,990 Times in 2,440 Posts
    Have you dropped the key chip out of the key when you were changing batteries?

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    pneuma's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    525ix se, BORA se
    Year of Manufacture:
    1992, 1999
    Transmission Type:
    manual, manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon, saloon
    Thanks
    the key and ring around the barrel are linked to the ecu so that idea probs wouldnt work, chances are going by your code read is that you lost the coding when you changed the batteries, the manual sync with the fob doesnt recode with the engine unfortunatly it may have to be a visit to bm,

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Jacko_'s Car Details
    Model of Car:
    323i, M535i, 328 Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    some time in the past
    Transmission Type:
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe and Saloon

Thanks
    Ok thanks guys, really anoying this - just hope i can sort it without much cost! :(

Theend - I know what you mean but the key seems different. Let me explain, the keys from the 98 car of mine (well what remains of it) has a small (Phillips i think) transceiver in the top corner. The one from my 95 car (the one i'm having problems with) is a slightly different design. The casing and button design is the same but the electronics are different.

95 car - two small batteries no visible transponder
    98 car - one large battery and transponder in the top corner

the 95 car doesn't have a transponder the same the 98 car fob. It puzzled me somewhat...maybe its worth a closer look? Although i don’t know what i should be looking for anyway tbh)

The reason i took the electronics out of the fob was to see why they were different. See i'm putting the engine from the 328i into my E21 in the next couple of months and i will need to move the EWS across with the engine and install it. Seen as my E21 doesn't have any car security i wanted to house the transponder in something and use it as it was intended rather than just wrapping the key around the ring.

I will have a look in the car for the transponder in case it has dropped out but tbh it doesn't even have any space in the fob for it so i think it's attached to the PCB?

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Jacko_'s Car Details
    Model of Car:
    323i, M535i, 328 Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    some time in the past
    Transmission Type:
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe and Saloon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEnd View Post
    Have you dropped the key chip out of the key when you were changing batteries?
    I want to kiss you!! (and i don't say that lightly)

I went and had a look, guess what was in the footwell of the car - only a little transponder! Stuck the key in the ignition and with the transponder held next to the ring i turned the key and she burst to life without issue!

I am so so happy. I knew doing this in the middle of the night in the dark in the car was a stupid idea! I shall learn from my mistake thatís for sure.

Thanks for both of your inputs.