316i M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact

Thanks
    Hi everybody.

I'm after some advice regarding the installation of "remote" central locking to my car. I have central locking that operates by the key from either the driver or passenger doors, and also from the boot.

The only key i have looks like this key.jpg and i am led to believe that it is not a remote central locking key.

I've read most of the threads regarding central locking and locating the ZKE and trying to determine which alarm system is installed in my car. After looking behind the glovebox, under the passenger carpet and finally under the steering rack, i have concluded that there is no "remote" central locking or alarm system installed in the car.

Behind my dash looks like this 2012-12-10 15.55.32.jpg and i believe im right in saying that the pink connector is the ZKE?

My real question is: which direction do i take with installing "Remote" central locking?

Do i get the one that is supposed to be/usually found on E36's? FoundTHIS on ebay

or

Do i get something like THIS

I'm not really fussed about having the all in one keyfob thingy although it is handy and trendy. The main thing for me is that the remote central locking works as it should including the deadlocking which i've read needs the 12v+ sent to both lock and unlock wires simultaneously. Some kits require the addition of diodes and wot not. I was thinking that the original BMW unit should be no bother to fit and should work properly with no messing.

Thankyou very much in advance if anyone can help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    carbers911's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318iS
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    That one on ebay WOULD have been ideal had I seen this post in time!
    However, it didnt appear to come with the loom which you would also have needed, plus the siren module and ultrasonics.
    You are right(ish) about the ZKE, its the entire module that the pink connector goes into, so the green and black connectors are part of it too.
    I cant remember exactly what the wiring differences are between a compact and a coupe but have a browse through my install here Guide. E36 - Retrofit 3G mk2 Alarm and shout if you need any more advice.
    If you do require a loom let me know as I may be able to lay my hands on one for you.

Andy

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    blueplasticsoulman's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316i M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply Andy.

It was me that bought it. After i posted, i continued to read and research and i was convinced that it was the right one. Also, for that price, i didnt want to miss out and be kicking myself.

I did notice that it doesnt appear to have a "full" loom however, i'm not bothered at all about the alarm system. I purely want this for the central locking which i think is only a couple of wires to tap into. Correct me if im wrong. However, if you think that i do need a loom, im all ears on where to get one from if necesary.

I think the best bet is for me to have a look at what arrives in the post, and perhaps post some pictures up of what comes.

Thanks alot for the input.

Chris

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    carbers911's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318iS
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    From what I can see there is no loom at all, whats wrapped round it in the pic is the antenna for the remote which is designed to run up the passenger A-pillar into the headlining.
    Would be interesting to check with the seller if a) it does have loom and b) if not if he could send it on to you.
    Regardless of how few features you require you'll still need at least one connector to power it up....my theory would be if you have the kit you may as well make it all work as its a pretty good system!

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    blueplasticsoulman's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316i M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by carbers911 View Post
    From what I can see there is no loom at all, whats wrapped round it in the pic is the antenna for the remote which is designed to run up the passenger A-pillar into the headlining.
    Would be interesting to check with the seller if a) it does have loom and b) if not if he could send it on to you.
    Regardless of how few features you require you'll still need at least one connector to power it up....my theory would be if you have the kit you may as well make it all work as its a pretty good system!
    Thanks again Andy and i suppose i agree with what you've said. If ive got it, I might as well wire it all up.

It arrived this morning, with no wiring loom. Any ideas where i can get one from, or instructions on how to make my own?

Pictures of the unit are attached. I'm off to The Ukraine in about an hour so i'll look forward to reading the response when i get back on Sunday and hopefully i can get started.

I did see this on ebay but i think its a bit dear for a bit of wire and i dunno if it's the right one either. I know that theres a 1999 e46 318 at the scrapyard round the corner. Will that lend anything to the project?

Thanks very much.

2012-12-14 11.05.06.jpg2012-12-14 11.05.37.jpg2012-12-14 11.05.58.jpg

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    carbers911's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318iS
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    Ok, the one on ebay is for the wrong alarm module anyway so the fact its that expensive now doesnt matter!
    The E46 loom will similarly be of no use either.
    If you have a look at my wiring diagram at the bottom of the link I posted earlier it will tell you what needs to go where should you need to build your own loom, but the big downside of this is you still wont have any of the peripherals, siren, LED, ultrasonics, and I cant tell you what type of connector block will match the ones in the module.
    I have access to many E36s at my local scrappy and will willingly remove a loom if there is one available, only thing is given the time of year I cant guarantee how soon that would be for you.....