BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Reflow ECU in oven, anyone done this before

Tags
ecu oven reflow
7K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  bwchiptune 
#1 ·
Sometimes my car won't start deu to a bad ECU, prices for a new a so huge I wanted to try to fix it by myself:
Had a non working laptop once, but after some reading on google I decided to put the motherboard in the oven (7 minutes@190c), laptop still works!
I was wondering if it was an idea to do the same thing with te cicruit board of my ECU, if you heat it at 190c the soldering is comming soft again and if you let it cool down slowly the connections are good again (at least thet worked on my laptop)...
So is there anyone who did this before of wille the board just explode and burn my house down:)?

THanks for you're reply's!!!

#3 ·
The fact that the fault ocures on a random base, specialy when its hot is making the solderwork suspicious.
I allready brought it in a specialized firm but the result of there soldering give me no sollution.
The big solering where redone, but not the small ones, and there is one ship connected on the downside, so you can't reacht this one.

Gona try it tommorow in the oven, I hope I don't fry it:)

#7 ·
Problem solved by reflow:

I have put the circuitboard of the ECU in de oven for 8min @ 190°c and the starts everytime, no fail/save mode for me anymore.
I don't know how long this fix wil last but at least I have the time to find me a good ECU for a good price.
Other people who have done this had various results, somethimes its broken again after a week, other never break again....

#11 ·
I could not see any dry joints, all the "big" visible joints where allreade redone done by a specialized firm.
Some solderings are underneath the ships, you can't see them, I think these were reflowed by the oven trick.
Still no problems after three days summer weather, fingers crossed...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.