Rear fog light switch; how does it work? Please help as it is not working now.

Notices

Thread: Rear fog light switch; how does it work? Please help as it is not working now.

Reply to Thread
  1. Rear fog light switch; how does it work? Please help as it is not working now. 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    bueshed's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Hi,
    I finaly scrapped my 318i Touring at 205,000 miles and bought a year 2000 318ti Compact 1900. It drives brilliantly.

However; I took it for it's MOT and it failed on the rear foglights not working. The switch pulled out to the first stop for the front fogs but would not stay out for the rear. I took it all apart and found that it is not supposed to stay out and has a spring to prevent this. The rear light does not come on even when the switch is right out, neither does the tell-tale light in the dash. I am baffled, is there a relay somewhere? Has anyone else had this problem?

I can just loop across to the other light cluster when I have one working as these only had one rear foglight from new.

Added later; It is an E36 with M44 engine
    Last edited by bueshed; 21-06-2012 at 18:23. Reason: Insufficient information

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    e36318iscoupe's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e36318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    check the fuses and the relay in the fuse box you can run a cable from the one that is working and connect it to the near side foglight i have done this on my 96 coupe mot regs state only the off side light needs to be working.
    there could be a break in the cables that come though the tailgate but im not sure if these cars are affected by this problem.
    is your car an e46 or 36 as your threadtitle does not include the model of the car which will help give a more definitve answer and also not pi$$ the mod police off.
    There's an alternative. There's always a third way, and it's not a combination of the other two ways. It's a different way

I see you've made you're decision now lets see you enforce it.

The search facility on here is your friend

PLEASE READ THE POSTING RULES, FOR SALE RULES, & HOW TO CORRECT THREAD TITLES