Model of Car:
    M3 Touring
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Estate

Thanks
    Hi, I've basically taken an E46 318i Touring and converted it to E46 M3 spec. Engine, gearbox, brakes, subframes/suspension, ECU, clocks, steering rack, steering column...pretty much all the original M3 parts.
    One of the few parts I have not (been able) to change is the ABS/DSC modulator and brake master cylinder.
    The car is now running and drivable, but I have a fault code on the brake light switch and the steering wheel interface, probably because they are different in configuration and wiring between the 318i and M3. This is bringing on the DSC warning lamp and the airbag warning lamp. I know the ABS system on the 318i had two pin ABS sensors, where as the M3 uses 3 pin, so was expecting some components not to talk to each other.
    The codes can't be erased using a Modis scanner it seems, so suggests it's BMW only. It also seems to realise that the VIN number of the car the ECU was matched to and the new VIN number are different.
    Are there any companies in the UK we can take the car to who can write certain aspects of the software out, so basically tell the ECU what is there and what isn't so that it isn't looking for things it won't find, and to change the VIN number over to the new car?
    With the new MOT rules coming out soon regarding warning lamps, these two could be an issue.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    CompDoc's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Images
    Thanks
    The vin number, odometer reading and other stuff is stored in the OBC in the instrument binnacle as well as the lighting controller (part of and behind the light switch) on 2001 models and the instrument binnacle and (I think) the alarm ECU on later models. Any differences between these will light the tamper light and probably leave codes. If you haven’t already done so I would make sure that these three items all come from the same car.
    It might be worth having a word with http://www.mileageadjustment.co.uk as they seem to have a lot of experiance in this area.
    Good luck

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    southways's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3 Touring
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Estate

Thanks
    Thanks for your reply. The instrument cluster and ECU are from the M3, but the light switch isn't. I still have this so may be able to switch them over.

Will check out the link. Thanks again.