which one is the relay for fuel pump ?

Notices

Thread: which one is the relay for fuel pump ?

Reply to Thread
  1. which one is the relay for fuel pump ? 
    BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    ally18's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d & 118d msport
    Year of Manufacture:
    2001 & 2009
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Images
    Thanks
    im having the common problem of car not starting every now and then on my 320d 2001. trying to find the problem without buying things thats not needed. i havent scanned car yet as waiting for lead to come, hopefully today. ok have read to rule out fuel relay as the problem, swap with horn relay, but my problem is cant find out which is what relay. there are 4 relays 3 green and one red can someone let me know whats what. i have taken photo. car wouldn't start last night and i ran battery flat so had to call out recovery. guy said stright away it's your pump under back seat. great if it is, but not sure the guy really knew the car as i know there are two pumps and the relay. can the pump under back seat be the problem. as far as i can tell there is a noise coming from passager side pressure pump when it wont start but be 100 % sure as testing is hard as it might not do it again for few days and normally wifes got the car. today car has cut out 2 times when driving, never done this before. it started again about 5 trys later. when the car starts it will always be first turn starting. could it also be fuel filter as read most of time there never changed from new. any help will be thankful.

just removed back seat to find two fuel pumps :O anyway checked voltage on them and feed to both says 11v
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    ally18's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d & 118d msport
    Year of Manufacture:
    2001 & 2009
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Images
    Thanks
    ok could really do with some help now as cutting out and slowly getting worse. it's now cutting out when driving and taken 5-10 mins to start. my scanner didn't come today so still cant scan the car, but what are the faults it could be ? how do i test parts to see if its them that broken ? ok relay, rear pumps x2 , pressure pump ( but this is making humming sound when key turned ). could i also add fuel filter ? would this cause the problems ? injectors. anything you can add please, also if you know how to test parts. thanks
    ally

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    CompDoc's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Images
    Thanks
    Hrers a url for the relays on the E46, BMW E46 Relays but if you have power at the fuel pump (the one on the right) then its not the relay. I'd try changing the fuel filter if it hasn't been done for a while.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Bmw techy's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CompDoc View Post
    Hrers a url for the relays on the E46, BMW E46 Relays but if you have power at the fuel pump (the one on the right) then its not the relay. I'd try changing the fuel filter if it hasn't been done for a while.
    slightly wrong, the relay contact burns out this leads to a voltage drop, an example of this is if your battery is reading 12.4v and you have 11v at the fuel pumps then 1.4v is being lost, usually bad connections cause this drop.

The relay is cheap enough so i would definitely replace and go from there.
    Mr BMW Tech

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bmw techy For This Useful Post:

CompDoc (13-06-2012)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    teeach's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    none
    Year of Manufacture:
    none
    Transmission Type:
    none
    Car Body Type:
    none

Thanks
    third from left assuming you got a right hand drive. the first on left is horn, put your finger on it and press horn you should be able to feel it click, same for the third accross(fuel pump relay) when you switch the ignition on.

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    ally18's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d & 118d msport
    Year of Manufacture:
    2001 & 2009
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Images
    Thanks
    thanks guys, i didn't know which was horn and pump relay so swapped all 3 green one over and still wouldn't start, cars in garage now as broken down twice at the weekend and has to be recovered. they think it is rear pump but he did say not 100% but thinks thats best thing to try, believe it's stopping every now and then. couldn't say when fuel filter was last changed as only just got car 9 days ago, but it's also in for full service next week. fingers crossed it is the pump.