Driftworkz's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Maual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    hiya i recently had the pleasure of taking delivery of the above car in for repair at my shop

the initial fault codes after relearning the valvetronic stops were as follows

intake cam control
    intake cam sensor

i quickly swapped the exhaust & intake cam sensors over, no difference in codes. I then swapped the vanos solenoids over & again no change in codes

I should have walked away from the job here

But unfortunately i decided to remove the rocker cover and check timing, £100 pound later i received the relevant tools which i offered up to the cams, the inlet cam timing was out considerably & there was tipex all over the cams . My assumption is that this engine has been damaged previously and obviously still isn't right.

After I had re timed the engine & again relearned the valvetronic stops i took it for a test drive and noted low power & deep intake sucking (like its got a blocked air filter . I then checked for codes & have

intake vanos control
    exhaust vanos control

I then decided to recheck the timing again & its perfect hence the no cam sensor fault but in regards to the vanos errors im a bit reluctant to change them both as i don't think they are faulty.

so to my questions

Does the vanos need some type of adaption/initialization/set-up?
    Any one have any ideas where to go from here?

thanks in advance

Matt

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Driftworkz's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Maual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    a bit of an update both vanos solenoids have the same resistance around 15ohms

today a code popped up for the valvetronic motor, i tested the resistance from the pins to body i have 1708 ohms resistance so i assume the motor has a short although a high resistance short to ground, but could this be the cause of my other faults? & should this be replaced now?