M43 W reg 2000 316is engine changed but can not seem to get a spark. i'm in need of serious help please!!

Notices

Thread: M43 W reg 2000 316is engine changed but can not seem to get a spark. i'm in need of serious help please!!

Reply to Thread
  1. M43 W reg 2000 316is engine changed but can not seem to get a spark. i'm in need of serious help please!! 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    carlossites's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    compact

Thanks
    Hello everyone!! Hope y'all well!!
    Ok.. I've a W reg 2000 316 is compact apparently a limited edition as it comes with a single cam 1.9 engine in it m43.
    I have had an engine change for same yr and model but out of a V reg
    Thing is it still has no spark from the crank centre!
    Had coil pack changed etc had an auto electrcian on it who plugged it into his computer but it shows 'no faults'!!
    I really dont have a clue about cars but figure its an electrical problem rather than a mechaincal?
    i've considered going for a new wiring loom but the mechanic and electrician told me i dont need one even though my original engine change was a bodge job and my wiring loom was cut and taped. Something i was told shouldn't be done as they're optic fibre??
    If there is someone out there who knows what to do or fancies taking a look it'd be so much appreciated!
    Thanks for taking the time to read this.
    Cheers!!!..
    P.s. i ved kept the original ecu in it!!that may make a difference i'm not sure??/
    Last edited by carlossites; 05-08-2008 at 13:54.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmerforums Central
    Car Details
    Boostist's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carlossites View Post
    Hello everyone!! Hope y'all well!!
    Ok.. I've a W reg 2000 316 is compact apparently a limited edition as it comes with a single cam 1.9 engine in it m43.
    I have had an engine change for same yr and model but out of a V reg
    Thing is it still has no spark from the crank centre!
    Had coil pack changed etc had an auto electrcian on it who plugged it into his computer but it shows 'no faults'!!
    I really dont have a clue about cars but figure its an electrical problem rather than a mechaincal?
    i've considered going for a new wiring loom but the mechanic and electrician told me i dont need one even though my original engine change was a bodge job and my wiring loom was cut and taped. Something i was told shouldn't be done as they're optic fibre??
    If there is someone out there who knows what to do or fancies taking a look it'd be so much appreciated!
    Thanks for taking the time to read this.
    Cheers!!!..
    P.s. i ved kept the original ecu in it!!that may make a difference i'm not sure??/
    HI mate,

can you explain who put the engine in and did the wiring?

if the wiring loom was cut and spliced properly and heatshrink was used it should be fine. There no optic fibre that Im aware of!

RYM
    Legendary BFuk Member
    Car Details
    RYM's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,935 Times in 3,119 Posts
    First question, was the ecu changed? Needs to be

2nd question is if the ecu was changed, was the ews module changed and was the key recoded???

When the transponder key is inserted into the barrell, the transponder ring reads the chip, this info goes to the transmitter box which feeds the information onto the EWS module. The EWS module processes the information. Once the system has confirmed that all security checks are complete and correct the ECU is sent a signal allowing the engine to start.

If anyone of these items is incorrect or even faulty then the car WILL NOT START no matter what you do.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,052 Times in 5,322 Posts
    If the engine was a straight swap then the loom should in no way had to be "chopped", Also the DME(ECU) will be the same so will not have to be swapped.
    Do you have power at the crank sensor plug?

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    Slacker-ray's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Car Body Type:
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    If the engine was a straight swap then the loom should in no way had to be "chopped", Also the DME(ECU) will be the same so will not have to be swapped.
    Do you have power at the crank sensor plug?

Ronnie is right....................just swapped an 1.9 engine for a customer on his 2000 E46 316, his was the single cam M43 (M43TU 194E1 to be exact).

I tracked down the same engine, code 194E1 from a 'V reg Compact).

It went straight in and fired-up on the original loom and DME from the E46, nothing else was changed.

The replacement engine that was put into the car, was it the exact same i.e same engine code?

I take it that your original engine had the black plastic intake manifold, if so then that would be a M43TU engine (194E1)- easy to find out beacuse it will have "194E1" printed on the VIN Plate.

The replacement that was put in, was that also a M43TU or an M43, the one with the metal intake manifold- if so then it won't work dude, it is a different engine........if I remember correctly one is a valve tronic engine and the other is not.......i've seen some people purchase the wrong M43 engine and trying to fit them before.

Bimmerforums Central
    Car Details
    Boostist's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker-ray View Post
    Ronnie is right....................just swapped an 1.9 engine for a customer on his 2000 E46 316, his was the single cam M43 (M43TU 194E1 to be exact).

I tracked down the same engine, code 194E1 from a 'V reg Compact).

It went straight in and fired-up on the original loom and DME from the E46, nothing else was changed.

The replacement engine that was put into the car, was it the exact same i.e same engine code?

I take it that your original engine had the black plastic intake manifold, if so then that would be a M43TU engine (194E1)- easy to find out beacuse it will have "194E1" printed on the VIN Plate.

The replacement that was put in, was that also a M43TU or an M43, the one with the metal intake manifold- if so then it won't work dude, it is a different engine........if I remember correctly one is a valve tronic engine and the other is not.......i've seen some people purchase the wrong M43 engine and trying to fit them before.

Good info there mate

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    Slacker-ray's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Car Body Type:
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by boostist View Post
    Good info there mate

Well....thank you very much.........