Intermittent Electrical Faults 2003 E46 320ci Coupe

Notices

Thread: Intermittent Electrical Faults 2003 E46 320ci Coupe

Reply to Thread
  1. Intermittent Electrical Faults 2003 E46 320ci Coupe 
    M11HRN
    Hi Folks,

Looking for some help to diagnose an electrical fault. First of all noticed the ipod wouldnt work, clock time display on the headunit was blank and the interior indicators weren't working (no green arrows or ticking). After about 10mins all functioned properly. Later on today turned the key and nothing happened tried again and the car started same symptoms present i.e. no ipod, no interior indicators, no backlight display when lights on. After 5-10mins some things start to work again randomly. When i turned the ignition and lights off and removed the key the instrument backlights remained on then when outside the remote key wouldnt work! I then drove the car for about half an hour and as i pulled into my street all was working again?

Anyone have any suggestions i assume the fuses are fine as the equipment is working intermittently.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,115 Times in 5,338 Posts
    Might need to check if you battery terminals have not become loose.

M11HRN
    Thanks for the reply NealP i'll give it a try tomorrow with a bit of luck thats all it is!

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

M11HRN
    Quote Originally Posted by NealP View Post
    Might need to check if you battery terminals have not become loose.
    Checked the battery connections and they are fine, made the mistake of diconnecting the battery and leaving for 5mins to see if it would reset. Now the stereo displays 'disabled', no electric windows, rear windows stuck in open position!!!

Looks like a trip to the local BM dealership

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    Now that is strange...not come across that before

M11HRN
    FYI got my problem diagnosed by an independent and my car needs a new 'general module' apparently not that common a fault but not unheard of. Independent wanted £425 to repair called the main dealer and got quoted £348. Ouch!

It's booked in the main dealer for Wednesday but highlights not to accept a quote without checking elsewhere. Came across a good and bad independent in the process so if anyone around the Glasgow area is looking for a good independent i can recommend one.

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    Actually, I have heard of that, but this was when the car was used to jumpstart another car using direct connections from the battery located in the boot

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,051 Times in 5,322 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NealP View Post
    Actually, I have heard of that, but this was when the car was used to jumpstart another car using direct connections from the battery located in the boot
    It's usually from when the jump leads are disconnected, the alternator kicks in all of a sudden and spikes the ECU's, I always turn the lights, heated rear window and heater on before disconnecting, haven't had a problem yet touch wood