e46
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Hi, Newbie here.

I have just purchased my first 1999 318i e46. It has a few running issues & the engine light is on. I purchased a cable from ebay which came with copies of the software. I have tried for about two weeks to get this program to work now but it just states it's not compatable with windows 7, 64 bit.

I have also tried the guide on how do load it via this site but still no joy

Anyone near Oxford who is clued up on this & could poss install it for me in exchange for some beer tokens??

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Super_ted's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e46
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    No one able to help?

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    e36rob's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e46 320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Images
    Thanks
    Couple of things for you which may help.

Firstly, have you definitely bought a BMW capable code reader? Though they all have an OBD II connector they have different protocal's so if you definitely have one capable of diagnosing an E46 then thats the first tick.

Secondly, I tried all this stuff to be honest and it is a major faff so i ended up buying the bmtechnic kit which is a bespoke connetor and softeare available at a click of a button on windows vista or 7 aswell as xp, i know it's more outlay but it will save a load of messing, if however you are good with computers then there is a way to get DIS working.

Also, make sure you have installed the software to turn your laptop port into a diagnostic head, should of been supplied.

Instructions to install DIS on a windows vista/7 pc:

Download and install VMware, it is a standalone program that allows you to run windows xp from a windows 7.
    In vmware on the start screen, i use vmware player, click the create a new virtual machine, click the installer disc image box and locate your XP image file and click next. and continue through the steps to install XP.

Once XP is installed that will be under a "machine", you need to edit this machine and make sure it has 20gb of hard disk, 1 gb of ram and a nice name to make it easy to find. (I am assming you will be able to figure it out without an idiots guide!)

I'm sorry about this next bit because i can't remember for the life of me whether the source file (DIS) is added during the workstation install or after! I hope though that this takes you far enough for it to make sense and get you along the way! If you have the software disc then if during the workstation installation it will be a doddle, if it's after then you would just load the XP and then use it as you would tpo install any other programme by inserting your DIS cd and accessing via my computer.

There is a load of threads to help with all of these bits in massive detail, i got the software working but later found i either couldn't or didn't set up the diagnostic head software properly or it just wasn't compatible on my E36, i now have the BMTechnic software and it's an absolute doddle.

Good Luck!

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Super_ted's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e46
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Hi, thanks for your reply!
    I def have a bmw specific obd 2 cable reader. I have managed to get hold of someone local who is going to "have a go" so we'll see what happens.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Super_ted's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e46
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Following your advice i have ordered the bmtechnic kit. Thanks

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    e36rob's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e46 320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Images
    Thanks
    it's very good! the INPA software is very easy.

The cable for an E36 is not OBD II so i would imagine that is why the software isn't picking it up. The BMTechnic software will answer that for you. If you bought the kit with the 20 pin round socket you will be able to use DIS and SSS, if not then it will work with the INPA software as a minimum.

BMW Master
    Car Details
    shiku84's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E39 530D Platinium
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    AUTO
    Car Body Type:
    TOURING Fully loaded

Thanks
    I bought the BMWTechnich cable and i have not set it up yet cos i have a MAC but i will have the PC in a few weeks so will be updating how it goes. However Chris from BMWTECHNICH advised to use the DIS program better than using the INPA.
    My BMW history= E36 318IS, 323I,Mini Cooper, E46 320 D SE and now E39 530D. awesome

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    e36rob's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e46 320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Images
    Thanks
    DIS is much better yes, on my E36 and i think the early E46's the cable was still the round 20 pin which isn't OBD II, on the early E46 some even have both the OBD II and 20 pin OBD sockets.

Being a 99 i would imagine and hope yours is fully OBD II and you get sorted. i only point out the other bits just in case and you have something to look for!

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Super_ted's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e46
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Yes mine has the obd 2 under the dash. I will update once it arrives. Thanks.

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    mikeaj's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    The problem, unusually, is Microsoft! In their "wisdom" they didn't make windows "7" 32 bit programs compatible with 64 bit programs. The difference doesn't matter much to the end user. What it actually means is the length of the bits of information processed in one pass. 64 bit is not twice as fast, it is an order of magnitude faster.
    None of this helps us any!
    The answer is to load a "Virtual machine" such as that offered by Oracle. In this you load Windows XP as if you were starting a new system. On this Virtual Machine, under XP you can load INPA, but also TIS repair manual, and WDS wiring diagrams. It is well worth the effort.
    I am in Rugby, probably a bit far for you, but if I can help at all as a BMW nut since 1970 and IT since 1976 (before Microsoft), just shout.