BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

How to use wiring diagrams

Tags
diagrams
21K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  Clavurion 
#1 · (Edited)
I see a lot of posts on this forum by people asking for help with electrical problems and I’ve created this post to help others understand how much information is available in the wiring diagrams (BMW WDS). The wiring diagrams often contain more information of how a component works than the actual maintenance manual (BMW TIS).
You can find the WDS here WDS BMW Wiring Diagram System - Model Selection

Please note, The WDS web page uses Java to run thus you must say yes to the pop-up
Text Font Software Line Screenshot

In my example I’m going to pretend I’ve got an issue with my parking distance control where the left sensor has been replaced but I’ve still got and issue so I want to carry out some wiring checks between the left rear sensor and the PDC control module.

To find the PDC wiring diagrams we need to expand the “complete car” menu on the left. The PDC is located under “Complete Vehicle > Body > Signal and Warning Functions”
Text Font Software Screenshot Line

Most components have detailed text description of how an item works
Text Font Software Screenshot Technology

Here you can find the relevant wiring diagram. Note each item has an “equipment number” in this example the PDC control unit is A81
Text Font Screenshot Software Line

The left rear sensor is B34
Text Font Screenshot Line Software

To find both the location of each piece of equipment and information on each connector navigate on the left menu from the “Complete Vehicle” to “Component and Signal Information>Component”

You can now see the location of the PDC module and identify the connector on the module
Text Photograph Font Screenshot Software

You’ll also find tables which detail each wire on the PDC connectors
Text Font Screenshot Software Line

And a diagram which further identifies the wires in the connector
Text Font Screenshot Software Technology

From this table I can see I need to carry out a continuity check between pins 3,11 and 12 of connector X18013 on the PDC module
Text Font Screenshot Software Technology

And the plug at the rear left sensor X18020

Photograph Text Product Font Screenshot

Pin 12 of X18013 should have continuity to pin 1 of X18020
Pin 11 of X18013 should have continuity to pin 2 of X18020
Pin 3 of X18013 should have continuity to pin 3 of X18020

I hope this helps.

See less See more
#10 · (Edited)
Nope, sight is completely down now :(.

Although the new TIS looks like the ticket, I can't find my car's fuel heater in it atm....... [edit]
Never mind, found it :), but it doesn't show how to check it, (e.g what resistance the heater should be. I have a DTC for it btw).

#12 ·
We can? Where/how? I had quite a good look around & I couldn't find anything, bar the WDS Android app.
That said, I think that possibly WDS won't cover my new car anyway (a 2010 330d). I have managed to get ISTA, but I haven't tried it yet.

#13 ·
Hi everyone! I am from Russian and very love BMW. I made WDS Online for modern browsers (chrome, firefox, opera, etc..) and for mobile phones, because I'm tired install IE and java, and have problems with original WDS. It's site for everyone for free without any ads. It's my gift for bmw-community. Now site have only two languages: russian and english, but in my plans add other language: espaniol , germany and maybe another.
If you have any question/suggestion/wishes/remarks - write to me here, or PM, or my email: syamskoy@gmail.com

PS for admins/moderators: it's not a ad. :) And maybe you are can pin this information in top message?

Site: BMW WDS Online Enjoy!

#14 ·
Patriot
Excellent! Thanks very much :)

A question, I had a quick look at e9x fuel supply. It doesn't show the fuel heater in the fuel filter which my 2010 model has.
Also I didn't see the N57 listed for the various DDEs.
Upto what year does the e9x WDS go up to?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.