help needed!!! for wiring halo's up to interior lights, so light up when open car

Notices

Thread: help needed!!! for wiring halo's up to interior lights, so light up when open car

Reply to Thread
  1. help needed!!! for wiring halo's up to interior lights, so light up when open car 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    K33WLY's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320td compact
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    hatchback

Thanks
    hi there all, i have a e46 compact....

ive just installed my halo's and have wired them up to my side lights but would like to also have them come on when i open the car with key controls.

ive heard and read on the forum that this is possible to do through wiring halo's to your glove box interior light, but for some reason i cant find the thread on here again telling me how to do it.

if anyone can help to tell me how to go about it and a wiring diagram would be even better. really would like to try do this asap.

please help anyone. thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Joshcoupe's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325Ci Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    If you can hang on until tonight I'll take some photos of how I wired mine up by passing the wire through the fuse box holder and into the cabin behind the glove box.
    http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=78643&dateline=132756  4185

Quote Originally Posted by ludman View Post
    i was tempted to buy it and then rip it apart smashing the bodykit to bits in front of the seller, and then politely explain why i did so then give him a slap

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Joshcoupe For This Useful Post:

K33WLY (18-04-2012)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    K33WLY's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320td compact
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    hatchback

Thanks
    thanks joshcoupe, that would be a big help if you could. Just another question, did you wire them direct from glove box to side light wires, or does it have to have some thing in place ie resistor or something.... that stops them halo's coming on if some one opens glove box once car in once car is running? cheers agin and pics would be a big help

6. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    CompDoc's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Images
    Thanks
    To dim the Halo's with the interior lights you need to take a feed from the footwell light, either drivers or passenger side. This uses the dimmer in the light controller (behind the lighting switch) to drive the halo's as well as the interior lights. I am assuming that your halos are LED as I don't think you can do this with the CCFL ones. If your halo's don't have a relay in circuit to operate them, you can connect the wire you have going to the sidelights and connect to the footwell light. Then to operate them from the side lights connect a relay to the side lights so that with the side lights on, the relay operates the halo's.
    Angel eyes wiring diagram.jpg
    Here's the diagram for my Umnitza angel eyes that I use as DRL's. The U relay is standard and turns on the AE's when the ignition is on. I added the D relay to dim the AE's when the side lights are on as they are very bright. The wire to the footwell light by-passes all the relays, as obviously the dimming action wouldn't work via a relay.
    I have changed all my interior lights to LED's to take the strain off the light controller as my Orion AE's pull nearly 1 amp of current and I have heard of a few people burning out the light controller. This may be overkill but I didn't want to take a chance.
    I hope that this is some help.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    K33WLY's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320td compact
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    hatchback

Thanks
    Hi comedoc, thanks for info but all I'm trying to do is link the halo's so that when I open the car using my key fob I want the halo's to light up! So I thought if I link then to interior lights ie... Glove box they come on when I open it but then go out once in the car but think wiring will have to have some thing in place so when I open glove box I don't want the halo's coming on! Hope you get what I mean! If you do and can help or suggest how to do it that'd b great.

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Joshcoupe's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325Ci Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Sorry about the delay K33WLY but I completely forgot about your thread

Start by removing the glove box (there's about 5 screws), and put it to one side.

Next, if you take the cover off your ECU box you'll see two tubes that go through the bulkhead which several bunches of cables pass through (just below the relay labelled "4" on the pic below).

What you want to do is tape the signal wire to something long and flexible and feed the wire into the cavity behind the glove box.

Once you've done that tap the signal wire into the FOOTWELL light NOT the GLOVEBOX light as I did originally. It took me 10 minutes to figure that mistake

Test everything by locking and unlocking your car. The halos will fade on and off which the interior lights.
    http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=78643&dateline=132756  4185

Quote Originally Posted by ludman View Post
    i was tempted to buy it and then rip it apart smashing the bodykit to bits in front of the seller, and then politely explain why i did so then give him a slap

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Joshcoupe For This Useful Post:

K33WLY (27-04-2012)

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    CompDoc's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Images
    Thanks
    The interior lights are on a dimmer when you open the door manually or with the key fob and dim down when they go off after you've closed the door. The footwell lights are part of the interior lights circuit and these are usually used to connect to your halos because they are the easyest to get a wire to. You can run a wire through the Ebox into the interior of the car via the glove box and behind the plastic cover under the footwell where the footwell light is. So its nice and neat and you dont see any wires. The glovebox light is not connected to the interior light circuit as it only comes on when you open the glovebox. The power to turn the interior lights on and off comes from the lighting controller (behind the side/headlight switch) and uses a dimmer circuit. This is why the interior lights dim up and down when turning on/off. So connecting your halos to the footwell light will make your halos dim up when you click the key fob and dim down when you lock the car. You will also need another trigger to turn the halos on when you turn on the sidelights (if this is the way you want to use them). The easyest way is to take a wire from one sidelight to operate a relay (a relay draws little current so will not bring up a sidelight warning on the dash) and then relay turns on the halos. This way you do not need resisters and/or diodes in the circuit to stop one circuit interfearing with another.
    I agree its a bit fiddly but once you get your head around it, it becomes straight forward. But if you are not used to looking at diagrams it might be worth getting a local auto electrician to do it for you. They should be able to fit a relay and wire it up in about 1/2 hour.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CompDoc For This Useful Post:

K33WLY (27-04-2012)

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    E36Coupe328's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328 + 325
    Year of Manufacture:
    1995 + 1994
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,090 Times in 957 Posts
    Diodes.

An easy way to make sure the live feed cannot "run back" up the interior light wires and make them come on when you put sidelights on

No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

Free Gas Kit* now fitted to free 328*

*Based on ROI period exceeded

14. The Following User Says Thank You to E36Coupe328 For This Useful Post:

K33WLY (27-04-2012)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Billythebull's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    sdfgfsdg
    Year of Manufacture:
    sdgasdf
    Transmission Type:
    gsdfgf
    Car Body Type:
    asdfgsdg

Thanks
    The interior lights are on a dimmer when you open the door manually or with the key fob and dim down when they go off after you've closed the door. The footwell lights are part of the interior lights circuit and these are usually used to connect to your halos because they are the easyest to get a wire to.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Billythebull For This Useful Post:

K33WLY (27-04-2012)