BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Fuel Trip Computer.

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Boostist 
#1 · (Edited)
Ive just bought a 98 R reg 318i SE. It has the climate control, but no fuel computer. Is it possible to fit the fuel computer module from another 318i?
If so what does it connect to (The ECU), do different 318i's use different ECU's
It has instructions in the handbook for the computer.

Thanks
Warren.

#4 ·
Wait a minute, I didn't explain that very well. What I meant was push it from left to right, in towards thesteering column, rather than push/pulling it back towards the wheel. Like, push it end-on in towards the spindle. In my car, that changes the digi clock on the dash to a MPG meter, range til empty meter, average speed meter, etc. Mine has the same main beam function as yours. Is your analog clock on the instrument panel, or in the centre console? Mine's on the console to the left of the radio. As your car's a year younger than mine, I would imagine it would have at least the same spec.

#5 ·
just tried that and theres no movement in the stick, towards the column anyway. The only thing on the dash console is the odometer readings in digital, no clock.
Just double checked the car spec as ive only had it for a day. Its a 1998 R reg 318i SE.
I bought it for work, as my other car is a Supra 3l Twin Turbo, which is about 400bhp and does about 15mpg, I needed a car for a new job which is about 15 miles away from home and as all my family except me have bought BMWs in the past I picked up this one.
Its great on fuel, I forgot how inexpensive a 1.8l car was to run. £20 used to get me under 1/4 of a tank, now it gets me 1/2 its great. little slower on the 0-60 and less chance of getting a speeding ticket which is good.
Anyway Ive seen the in dash computer modules in breakers and Im wondering if they can be patched in, or if the other cars have different hardware / wiring looms to the ES model.

#7 ·
Yes, you can add the obc (ON BOARD COMPUTER)
You will need the OBC module.
new indicator stalk to suit
and possibly the wiring harness from the dash computer module.

As this link http://www.bmwauto.net/forums/bmw/p/102167/retrofit_e36_onboard_computer_obc

says...some E36s are prewired to accept the OBC. But I cant recall if yours is or not....

Maybe Ronnie or A20 will know though

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.