BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

ews problem after putting a 325i into my 318is

2K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  hamish262001 
#1 ·
hi new here names mark from the uk

quick rundown need to fix the problem ive taken a bmw 318is s reg and took the management loom and engine out of 325i L reg and fitted it into the 318 but heres the problem the s reg runs a chip key setup called ews which sends a message to the ecu to make it run but the 325 didnt have this feature so the message is getting sent but the ecu has no clue what its talking about hence it wont start i realy need to sort this as i want to smash it lol

anyone know how to remove the ews or bypass it

#3 ·
mate i could kiss you lol :lol this has been a problem for so long 2 auto electrians have looked and said not possible hours of phone calls to top name tuners and all a waste of time i couldnt believe it was that simple i nearly wet myself when it started :jaw-dropping i cant thank you and the other guy(cant remember his name) enough only problem now i have a stuck tappet front one nearest the rad sounds real stuck and isnt clearing the engine was so quite before i removed it from the 325i but atleast the main ball ache is done thank you guys again :thumbsup

#9 ·
:rofl

Excellent news mate :):rofl:cool:thumbsup

Really glad that sorted it for you though abmwworld originally told me about this trick so I cant take all the credit :silly.

Hopefully we now have another life long member in our midst ;)

Thats well funny that all those auto electricians and 'top tuners' couldnt sort it :rofl
Just put a tip in the box on the way out please :hihi

ps// Dont go spreading that info around the web is all I ask.
For one you had to work hard to find it out!!! and two its not good for BMW owners and the anti-theftability of their 'secure' cars!

As to the sticking tappet.

heres what I would do....firstly check all your spark plugs are in tight just in case as this is the noise they can make if not here

But as you seem to know what your doing Im sure your right on the money with the sticking tappet...
I would get the engine up to running temperature, drain the oil and use a wynns tappet cleaner if you can get hold of one...as here wynns

or if not then just a good old oil change and refill with some quality semi synthetic (5w40?)

I would bet that cures it or quietens it down....certainly so if it didnt do it before, the oil has probably congealed if the engine has stood and a flush would be a big help.

Well recruited A20 :hihi

#7 ·
cheers for the welcome that post has been up on many forums with no help whatsover just idiots telling me in done something wrong,ews isnt the problem etc etc even one guy telling me its very tricky and immpossible to bypass lol

#11 ·
I think we should have a campaign on " You know where " and invite all the UK members over to us.

I guarantee their experiences will be far more pleasant here:rofl

Great to have you on board cossiecrew, hope you will continue to use our forum:hihi

#12 ·
yes you got me e36.coupe is a thing of the past lol

update its not a tappet rocker covers off and its all lubed up and all are moving,plugs was all tight,noise was coming from the cam chain area? also mine got gay vanos but as far as im aware that only rattles on start up this sounds like a stuck tappet but isnt? cam chain seems tight and tensioners doing the job it sounds like a 10mm sockets been left in the cam chain area

#13 ·
Hmm....sounds like cam chain tensioner to me.
It could be still doing its job (for now) but if the bearing is shot it could be wobbling around...

i doubt its the 10 mm socket but...?

are you sure its not an ancilliary item? or belt tensioner?

I used to go on e36 coupe...not a bad place but very insular and the biggest project seems to be a HID install :rofl
jk// but they are a bit stuffy over there IME
TRy and recruit em all over lads :hihi

A20, will pm you with an idea on something unrelated

#15 ·
Hi, i need this information as im about to fit a 328 98 lump in a 96 car, need to bypass the ews, would be glad if you could help, thanks

#16 ·
I tried this removing EWS and joining 2 wires trick on my own car today and although it allowed the engine to turn over it would not fire up.

the reason for me to try it was I have an intermitiant starting problem and wanted to fit another DME as I have a known good one to use, but can only do this if the EWS is disabled.
anyone help?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.