BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

EWS and DWA modules

Tags
dwa ews modules
9K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  ally18 
#1 · (Edited)
EWS and DWA modules (Spare keys successfully programmed to my ews)

Basically ill cut a long story short.

I will be removing my EWS module to program some new keys. (i have a 2004 E53)

I need to know if after i remove the EWS, can i lock the car with either the door lock or remote? or will it mess up the rolling codes?

I have done a bit of research regarding the rolling codes. From my understanding, every time i lock the car with the remote, the code in the key changes along with the DWA (alarm module).
Is this the same rolling code used in the EWS? or are they separate?

I just dont want to take the risk of removing my EWS, and locking the car without the EWS present. Im worried doing this will throw everything out of sync.

Any experts out there that can help me?

#2 ·
Well, you're certainly thinking in the right way.
I know of some cases where the ECU/EWS sync has been upset before.

If possible, see if you can disconnect the battery before you unplug anything, but check to make sure you can still lock the doors manually with the key, and remember you'll need to get a jump start pack to power up the car to get back into the boot.

The rolling codes are different, one set with the remote for the alarm, another set for EWS key identification, and a 3rd set between the ECU and EWS.

The alarm side probably will work fine without affecting anything else, but if it is possible to remove the battery first without any issues trying to get it reconnected afterwards, I'd go for that.

#6 ·
i too have just got a ak90. i have had some problems with it and am waiting for a 10030a chip to come and will let you know the out come. oh could't get key to program , why i think need new 10030a chip. can read keys ok and ews ok.we can work this out together :)

#7 ·
Yeah hopefully we can work it out.

Im just hoping i dont need to replace the 10030a chips as I was told you dont need to.
I have bought a used EWS to test with rather than risk the one in my car, hopefully that will arrive tomorrow.

I will keep this tread updated.

#8 ·
i have tryed it without replacing and kept getting write error with the key. even tryed the mileage and would work until put ews back into car. might be my ak90 ? just wait and see how you get on. was told after that it does need to be replaced by the seller after i asked, but every seller asked before i bought it say it dont ?

#9 ·
I asked various sellers, and they said old keys can be reused.

My interprrtation of it is that the ak90 writes the used key into the ews, basically editing the ews to accept the key, not re-write the chip in the key.

I could be wrong, will just have to keep testing and find out.

#10 ·
yes it does kind of make out thats what it does but it's the chip in the key that get written to the ews, not the ews to the key. have you tryed it out yet ? i spent 3 days trying to get it to work only to be told it should be a blank 10030a chip. now from what i have heard about it it makes out that the 10030a chip will be over written by the ak90. personal really dont care as long as i get it to work. but i do also think mine might not be working right. until you try your i wont know or if chip come what ever is first. i will keep you updated as i go and by the end of this we will have our spare key :) by the way what if the key your trying to program ? just to make sure we are trying to do same key

#11 ·
I have managed to edit and re-write to an EWS2 module without any problems (edit VIN , lock keys and and re-write a whole bin file)

I couldn't write a key to it because I only have 10030a EWS3 keys, not PCF7930/35 keys.

Ill keep you updated with any progress.

#14 ·
If you let BMW do it, no doubt they would want to change the DME at the same time. That would cost thousands.

If you have a faulty EWS, i can read the data from it and write it to a new EWS module, effectively making a clone.
Then it would be a simple case of plug and play.

Does anybody know if the ID44 transponder work with EWS3/3.3 modules?

#15 ·
Just an update.

I have managed to successfully program 3 spare keys to my ews module.

I will be offering a spare key service that includes the remote board, blank blade and transponder programmed to your ews. (If you don't fancy paying BMW 140 quid for the pleasure)

I am based in London, but can also provide keys via post.

Contact me for more details

#16 ·
we have been working together on this and can now do spare keys. we would need your ews or could come to one of us. im portsmouth, and jamine16 london. spare keys are the diamond bmw key with remote. first few do at discount but will expect feed back from you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.