electric windows

Notices

Thread: electric windows

Reply to Thread
  1. electric windows 
    Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    can ayone help me with a window problem ? i have a BMW316 coupe and the passenger window is stuck half way open. i've checked the fuse and wireing -ok , i can hear the power clicking to the motor but it just wont shut. can this be manually closed ? please help

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,052 Times in 5,322 Posts
    I would remove the door trim http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...s-67-Doors.htm
    Then try giving the motor a bang with your hand while pressing the up button

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    thanks for your reply Ronnie, i did what you said but no joy i think the motor is no good any idea how to take it off maybe i could salvage one from a scrap yard ??

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmerforums Central
    Car Details
    Boostist's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Hi

im guessing that the glass is still straight in the door yes? (as in it hasnt dropped to one side as well as being stuck halfway down)

Like this

BMW E36 window motor

and another guide to getting the door panel off

guide

The window motor and regulator (the scissor mechanism) are riveted together andyou will need to drill out the rivets to seperate them .You need a riveter to put the new motor back on to the regualtor frame.

Heres some info I found on it

it sounds like you have a new motor and rather than take it out as an assembly you have unscrewed the four torx bolts that hold the motor cover on? This would not be a motor swap.... the window motor is teh entire assembly. Some refer to the half of the assembly that has the drive gear as the "regulator", and that is incorrect. The regulator is the metal scissors assembly that lifts the window.

If you are trying to swap a window motor, I really recommend that you take your time and swap the entire assembly. Yes, the original motor is riveted to the door frame, and yes it is a pain in the rear.

When I did mine, I removed the window glass to prevent breaking it. Not as hard as it seems if you have a good toolset and the Bentley manual. Next, the rivets holding the regulator and motot were drilled out, so that the entire assembly could be removed and then the motor un-bolted from the regulator. This is a good time to buy and replace those plastic clips that slide in the track and hold the regulator to the window track. Also, this is a good time to completely clean everything (regulator and tracks) and lubricate the tracks and regulator. The track that holds teh rear portion of teh window actually comes out also, so why not remove it so you can clean and lubricate it like new?

Before assembly, I would bolt the motor to the regulator and operate the motor to make sure it works correctly. It sounds like the rear half of the motor was removed, and if put back on incorrectly the motor will nto spin in the correct direction and therefore won't work.

Upon assembly, you will need to buy nuts & bolts to replace the rivets which you previously you drilled out.

Also, this is a good time to renew the plastic clips that hold the door panel trim to the door.

If you take your time and do everythign right, you will end up with a window that works properly for a very long time -- including one-touch operation. Every piece of dirt, sand, grit, and rust needs to be cleaned out of all moving parts as well as the original grease from the factory. All moving parts need to be greased with new grease, like lubricating grease -- not a silicone liquid or WD40.

Bimmerforums Central
    Car Details
    Boostist's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Try ringing quarry motors (see useful links or google them).. They are a great breaker and will no doubt have what you seek

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,052 Times in 5,322 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by craigy67 View Post
    thanks for your reply Ronnie, i did what you said but no joy i think the motor is no good any idea how to take it off maybe i could salvage one from a scrap yard ??
    It does sound that way, To be sure you could grab 2 wires, connect them carefully to a battery,disconnect the window motor plug and put the + & - wires onto the window motor plug pins(Again i cannot stress the careful bit!). If it still doesn't work then definitely motor.

(edit. If you have a power probe then the wire trick is not needed! )

RYM
    Legendary BFuk Member
    Car Details
    RYM's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,935 Times in 3,119 Posts
    I had a similar problem. I had my window down and the battery went flat, when I got power into the battery and tried putting the window up nothing would happen.

I removed the plug that plugs onto the window motor and on putting it back on it raised very slightly. I kept doing this until the window had reached the top.

Once it had reached the top i pressed it down and it worked, pressed back up and it worked. If I remember rightly the one touch wasn't working after so I got the window into the fully closed position and then pressed the button up again for 30 seconds and all was well.

Try it, it may help.