e61 - problem with clock/date resetting, despite new battery - IBS?

Notices

Thread: e61 - problem with clock/date resetting, despite new battery - IBS?

Reply to Thread
  1. e61 - problem with clock/date resetting, despite new battery - IBS? 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    DavidMP's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    535d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Images
    Thanks
    Hi all, first post!
    Any thoughts on an issue with my 2006 535d touring; have only had the car a month or two and find the clock and date keep resetting - so annoying! I read that this is usually a warning sign of a failing battery, so I bought a (high-end) charger (cheaper than a new battery!) and charged it up - clock re-set two days later. Then I had the battery checked at Kwik Fit; it came out 83% charged (which is pretty good?), but re-charge still recommended (only 5 days after a full charge). Altenator was also fine. I had the battery replaced yesterday just to be on the safe side (I do quite a lot of short journeys, and winter is coming!) with a fairly high-end unit from Kwik Fit (black AGM 100aH), and hey presto, clock and date reset this morning! Annoying! Once it also re-set the clock after a very long motorway run the night before.

The new battery has not been coded/registered to the car, which I may get done (BMW want £140 for this - outrageous!), but it can't be purely a coding issue as I had exactly the same problem with the original battery which was OEM factory fit. I have read about many others having similar problems, but most of them seem to resolve with a new battery. I have also read it could be the Intelligent Battery Sensor? Or something else? Any thoughts or advice much appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Master
    Car Details
    gunslinger1's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    company car
    Year of Manufacture:
    company car
    Transmission Type:
    company car
    Car Body Type:
    company car

Thanks
    with fitting a AGM battery you will now have to get the car programmed as this is a differant charge cycle for this type of battey , why they when for this type of battery on this car is beyond me realy . second you have a battery discharge of some description , this could be some thing easy as water in the spare wheel well , soaking the control units in there , to be honest a fault memory check and then run the enerygy diagnosis test mod will put the tech in the right direction . dont go to quick fit as if they are any thing like the one in town where i live ,they cannot reset CBS data. we get customs all the time coming from them wanting there CBS reset .

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gunslinger1 For This Useful Post:

DavidMP (23-09-2013)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    DavidMP's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    535d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Images
    Thanks
    Thanks for this Gunslinger. The problem has not reoccurred over the last 3-4 days, so am hoping that the new battery has done the trick (although I accept it could reoccur eventually if there is a powerdrain somewhere). The problem with getting the battery coded/registered is that BMW want £140 for this! (Does it really take a whole hour?), which is as much as a new battery costs. I have a 4 year guarantee on the battery from Kwik Fit, so even if the different charging cycle does damage the battery I will just get a new one for free.

It does highlight an important point though - why do BMW price these jobs on a (sky high) flat rate? Surely you dont need technicians able to replace suspensions and gearboxes to do a simple software registration? They should charge £25 for coding/registration and train some kid to do it for £8 an hour - then it might actually make sense for customers to pay for this service, as opposed to the economic madness of the current situation! BMW admitted to me that they sell a lot of batteries but very rarely do customers pay for it to be coded. Cheers!

6. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    ragtop steve's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E60 530D & F07 535D GT
    Year of Manufacture:
    2006 & 2012
    Transmission Type:
    manual & Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon & Hatchback
    Thanks
    I have, or had the same problem, bought a new battery 15 monthes ago, it recently started to loos the clockdate time memory, the car went in to BMW, they fully charged the battery and coded the (regstered) the battery, problem solved, but it reacures now from time to time, if i have a good run it's OK, if i have a short run, open doors, lights on them some times it looses its memory. i was told that the car shuts down and and s saves the power to start the car.

They wouldent do any thing else with the car unless the audio was removed from the boot,

The car go's back in on tuesday for the recall of the main power cable to be replaced, its being checked today to see if its the audio causing the drain or some thing on the car itself, and it will go back to BMW tuesday with out the audio in the boot.

NOW, its been mentioned on the 5 forum that its the voltage regulator next to the earth terminal in the boot. That could be faulty and some one disconected his and the issue went away

BMW its an addiction, Its a drug