E60 (2006) 520 Touring - 'Battery discharge' warning problem.

Notices

Thread: E60 (2006) 520 Touring - 'Battery discharge' warning problem.

Reply to Thread
  1. E60 (2006) 520 Touring - 'Battery discharge' warning problem. 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    ronali's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    520d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Last year I had a new alternator and battery fitted due to this warning from the onboard computer. It was all fine for a number of months but the warning has returned recently and is persistent. I used a battery trickle-charge machine over several days, prior to a trip to UK this past week, and there have been no problems, but the warning continues. I took it to an independent BMW garage, where the alternator and battery were fitted last year, and they checked it with their computer to find the alternator was doing its job OK. They didn't offer any other suggestions except that I'd need to book it in for further tests. So, what else could be the problem is what I am concerned about and asking for advice on. I have returned to France now and the battery didn't let me down although maybe the lights aren't quite as bright as they could be.

I wondered if this could simply be a rogue message that is unreal and unfounded; it has happened in other cars belonging to friends. If not, what other components could be at fault?

To be honest, I am reluctant to take it to a main dealer, especially here in France, as they are very expensive but, as I am selling the car soon and don't want this problem unresolved, I am unsure as to what the alternatives are.

Any help or advice welcome!

Thanks and regards
    ronali

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    ronali's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    520d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    It appears no one can offer suggestions/advice or speak from experience with a similar problem. That is a shame as I thought it would have happened to others too.
    The message continues and I have not yet needed to charge the battery.

I wonder if it may be to do with the towbar I had fitted by an independent fitter as it has some noisy regurgitation coming from it several minutes after the car has been stopped and turned off. It makes me wonder if this happens during the night too and therefore takes juice from the battery. Any comments anyone??????

Thanks and regards
    ronali

BMW Master
    Car Details
    jimspeed's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Hi
    It could be the IBS lead as these are also a common issue which can cause strange messages including the one you have. The IBS sensor connects to the battery and monitors the level of charge and they are often affected by moisture and then give spurious faults. Also check that the car is going to sleep. To do this assuming its an auto there is a orange light next to the gear lever which will stay lit for approx twenty minutes after the car is turned off and locked. If the car is going to sleep correctly the light will go off and re light when the car is unlocked. To check just leave it and look through the window when its been stood.
    Cheers
    Jim

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Car Details
    edber's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E60 520D LCI
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    AUTOMATIC
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Images
    Thanks
    Is the towbar fitted with a trailer module?
    My trailer module is constant live as it has a red light that never goes out
    and the module is connected directly to the battery live and earth poles.
    Not sure how much drain that puts on a battery but may be enough in your case
    to trigger the warning you are getting.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    ronali's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    520d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Thank you Jimspeed for your info. The car is booked into the local BMW dealers in St Lo (Normandy) in early New Year to be connected to their computer (not cheap!) and so I hope they will find the fault. I had heard something about the IBS lead but, as the main battery lead had been replaced as a re-call issue a few years ago, I thought that would be rectified; could be wrong however. The car is a manual and so the auto option is not appropriate unfortunately.

Thanks also to edber for your input, I simply don't know if the towbar has this trailer module you mention. I just know it makes a whining noise several minutes after the car has stopped. I don't have any knowledge of a red light anywhere.

Hopefully, this trip to the dealers will reveal and put right the problem as I just want rid of the car now. We have bought another car recently and will certainly not go for a BMW again as this one has been expensive; nearly all of which has been down to electronics!!!!

Thanks again and regards
    ronali

Car Details
    edber's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E60 520D LCI
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    AUTOMATIC
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Images
    Thanks
    My trailer module beeps a couple of times when I attach the light plug to the car and the module also beeps as I indicate left or right.
    Hope this helps you.Dont let bmw electrics beat you.They are not that bad.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    libo9889's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    on some bmws when replacing the battery MUST program in what battery has been fitted and the amp power/ hour of it.
    so that the smart charge/regenerative braking system knows when the battery is fully charged or not and knows when to 'disengage' the alternator, to reduce engine drag and increase mpg, as part of the efficient dynamics.

ensure the battery is FULLY charged and ask the dealer to enter the battery specs see how you get on.....