Model of Car:
    Toledo
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Ive got the infamous grounding problem with my E46 coupe (rear passenger cluster). I need to splice an additional ground wire to the ground plane in the bulb holder/cluster, however mine does not look the same as most of the examples I can find here (no tab to connect to).

Can someone confirm if Ive identified the ground plane correctly? Looks like its connected to tab 4 and runs around to the base of all 3 bulbs? As Ive got no tab to connect to I was going to bolt it to the hole on the left, but if anyone else has experience of this type and has any suggestions that would be great

rearbulbholder.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    BikealarmBlair's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330d Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Yes you've got it right a small nut and bolt with a ring connector would be ideal.

Hth
    BMW357ci 5.7l LS1 V8 1500kgs 430ft lbs 407bhp

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    GTTIM's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Toledo
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Thanks very much, I was going to go ahead anyway despite the lack of reply Further investigation revealed that the hole on the left actually mates with a plastic bit on the inside of the lights, so using that hole isn't possible unless removing that plastic part - which probably wouldnt be a problem. However, probably best just to drill a small hole and use that. Will report back.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    GTTIM's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Toledo
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Well, i managed to do this the other day. I drilled a small hole and fitted a bolt through it to act as my new ground. Crimped and soldered a O-ring type terminal on to some 1mm wire (stranded - solid core wont bend/manipulate as easily) to fit onto my new grounding point I then stripped back a couple of inches on the original ground wire (goes to pin 4 i believe and is brown in my case). Twisted the other end with that and soldered them together, checked all lights were functioning and re-assembled. Finished it off with some insulating tape. Ridiculous that this should happen on a BMW in my opinion, but there you go.

One final word of warning, it pays to check the intended routing of your extra ground cable to make sure it doesn't interfere with the mounting of the bulb unit. I tested my first and my original intended layout prevented me from clicking the bulb unit back into place.