E46 radiator fan starting on its own with ignition off!!!

Notices

Thread: E46 radiator fan starting on its own with ignition off!!!

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. E46 radiator fan starting on its own with ignition off!!! 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Fyumo's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320 d
    Year of Manufacture:
    W reg
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Hi Guys,

Ive not long ago bought a W reg 320 diesel off my dad. Its a great car, he's had it from 18 months old and its only done 160K.

Just the other morning the battery was flat as a pancake when i went out to start the car to go to work.
    This is the first time it has happened. I jumped it off and drove it to work with no problems(10 minute journey). After 8 hour shift i went to the car and it started perfect.
    A couple of days later the wife called me while i was in the pub and told me the fan was running on the car!
    It hadnt been started for hours, and the keys were in the house.
    When i got home i tried starting the car and it was flat again.
    I repeted the jumping off process in the morning and it was good again for a week. Then today at work one of the lads told me the fan was running on the car, about 4 hours after i had parked it up. When i came to go home about 4 hours later it was flat again!!! Very maddening!!!!

The annoying thing here is i havnt managed to catch the fan running to be sure whats happening!

Im not very up on car electrics but i was thinking it could be a sticking relay, but then surely it would have to be running when the ignition was switched off?

Has anyone had or heard a fault like this before?

Im desperate as i use the car for work, but i cant really take it to a garage as whenever im with the car everything seems ok.

Cheers in advance for any help or advice!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    lee_h's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318 ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Images
    Thanks
    Afaik a faulty final stage resistor can cause your blower to keep running and flatten the battery

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    TheEnd's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,990 Times in 2,440 Posts
    That sounds like an ECU fault, take a look inside the ECU box inside the engine, make sure it isn't full of water!

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Fyumo's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320 d
    Year of Manufacture:
    W reg
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Hi again guys,

I read about the FSR (hedgehog) so i bought one from ebay and fitted it. It was a new one so i thought the job was done. I think this was the problem as i can remember the fan speed pulsing over the last few weeks.

Now for the annoying bit. The fan seems ok now since fitting the new relay, but the wife said Sunday afternoon while i was at the pub the fan was running again. She said it sounded too loud to be the internal fan so she thought it was the cooling fan on the rad!

The worst bit is (and the best bit if i think about it) is she put the battery charger on it to make sure it didnt go flat for me for work this morning. But now i dont know if the fault is still there or if it is a different fault or if everything is ok. I cant see how any fan running when the ignition is off and has been for hours can be ok!

I checked inside the ecu box and its dry as a bone and like new!

Has anyone got any more suggestions? What is the chance of the new FSR being faulty, i really dont want to be buying another new one!

Cheers guys, i really appreciate the advice and im willing to try anything. Im not bothered about working, i just dont have much spare cash so i really dont want to have to go to a garage!

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    TheEnd's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    You'll have to try a little harder to find out what fan is running, without knowing that, it's getting pointless trying to fix it.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Fyumo's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320 d
    Year of Manufacture:
    W reg
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Hi
    It is definatley the fan on the radiator. I caught it doing it last night! hope this helps!

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    TheEnd's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    OK, it is ECU controlled.
    There is a function for after running on hot engines, so maybe a coolant temp sensor (although these usually break to -37 deg) or an ECU fault.
    A final possibility is the wiring to the fan.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Fyumo's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320 d
    Year of Manufacture:
    W reg
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Right, ill look at the coolant tem sensor first then. I noticed today that the fan was coming on and off while the car was running, i mean on for 30 sec to a minute then off for a few minutes while the car was parked. The temp guage was bang in the middle and i gavnt noiced it doing this before.

Im guessing if its an ECU fault ill have to take it to an electronics speciaist! My last experience, with a different car was a bad oe. THey didnt find anything wrong with a peugot that wouldnt start. Fitted new glow plugs, and a new battery and it was still the same, unlike my wallet which was £180 lighter. I took it to a different garage and he diagnosed the starter motor straight away. Changed it and problem solved!! Now you can see why im reluctant to use an electronics guy again, although dont worry, i wouldnt use the same one again if it comes to that!

Cheers for the pointers, ill keep you updated!

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,115 Times in 5,338 Posts
    The fan unit has a built in final stage, so might want to get that checked out first

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Fyumo's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320 d
    Year of Manufacture:
    W reg
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    HI NealP

Do you mean the radiator cooling fan has a final stage relay built in? Ive replaced the one for the blower fan inside already.

As an update, its actually doing it right now. The fan is running and wont stop. I turned on the ignition and the temp needle shows cold, in the blue. I started the car and the fan kept running. I took the car for a 2 minute drive and and it never stopped running. Ive parked it up and its still running.

When it has done this before i have put the battery charger on the car and just left it. At some point through the night it stops and in the morning the battery is charged so there is no problem. Obviously i cant keep doing this.

Could a battery fault cause the fsr to play up or is it more likely that the fsr is knackered and the battery is ok. (Apart from when its flat!)

Is the rad fan fsr hard to change?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast