Notices

Thread: e46 key problem

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. e46 key problem 
    Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    HI ALL
    My dad have a E46 bmw. Reciently the central locking started playing up. The key does not open the central locking. He can open the driver side door with the key ,use the car and the key remote will lock the doors but will not open them again. The key will only close the central locking but will not open.
    The button in side the car that locks/shuts the central locking will only closes the lock and not open them.
    Can some one please tell me what the problem is. Is it the key remote or is there a fault within the car and how can I fix it with out taking it to the dealer for a expensive fix,

Thanks
    Minder

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,051 Times in 5,322 Posts
    It won't be the remote. When you press the unlock button nothing happens at all? no noise at all?

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    It won't be the remote. When you press the unlock button nothing happens at all? no noise at all?
    the remote key will only lock the doors and close the windows if left open. it will not unlock the doors, but it will unlock the boot. the button inside the car that opens/unlocks does not operate anything.
    nothing happens when I press the unlock button and no noise at all. The little led light on the key remote flashes to verify operation.

It's a real pain as I can't get any passengers in.

Thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    I had the same problem. Ended replacing the whole unit which costs nearly £500 incl labour. Ouch!!!

Now after they fitted the new so-called ECU, when you press the central locking button in the car, the main interior lights comes on and if you then switch off the light, the 4 doors unlocked!!!

It's doing my head in! It's back at the garage for them to investigate and they reckon it was the light switch which shorted out the ECU in the first place.

--Andy

Bimmerforums Central
    Car Details
    Boostist's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,426 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by andyobl View Post
    I had the same problem. Ended replacing the whole unit which costs nearly £500 incl labour. Ouch!!!

Now after they fitted the new so-called ECU, when you press the central locking button in the car, the main interior lights comes on and if you then switch off the light, the 4 doors unlocked!!!

It's doing my head in! It's back at the garage for them to investigate and they reckon it was the light switch which shorted out the ECU in the first place.

--Andy
    Any updates on this Andy...

can you explain the problem more and we will try and help find the cure

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    Hey guys,

I appear to be having the same problem

Just bought a 99 318i SE and replaced the battery in the fob but it still won't open the doors. Like you, it opens the boot, locks the doors, opens & closes the windows but that's it it won't open the doors and I have to use the key to open the drivers door. The central locking button inside the car does nothing, you can hear an audible noise on the doors as if its trying to opn them but nothing else happens.
    I don't lavish the idea of forking out £500 though so if there are any updates on this matter or anyone else knows what the problem is I would be very grateful to know.

Thanks in advance

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,051 Times in 5,322 Posts
    You may need to program the key, I shall get back later on how to do it as it's a essay!

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    Thanks Ronnie, read up a bit on that and it does seem to be easy enough but I have just tried it following this guide and had no success:

http://www.programyourkeys.com/BMW_3...ogramming.html

All that happens is the small led on the fob flashes a few times but the doors still don't open.

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    What I should clear up also is that the fob appears to arm and disarm the alarm and opens the boot, as already stated, but it simply doesn't open any of the doors nor does the central locking button inside the vehicle open or close the doors. What I did notice though is that when you press the CL button inside the car it locks the drivers door which was manually opened by the key - so something does work. I doubt if this is a major issue.

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    An update, just found out that it worked perfectly well until the car battery went flat as the car was sitting a while.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast