Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Dublin

Thanks
    I have a parrot ck3000 car kit installed in my e46 for the last two years. Over the last month i noticed some clicking coming from the back right speaker and you could notice the radio screen dim slightly for a second when the speaker clicked.
    lately when on calls the person on the other end complained of clicking noise during the call. Last night i took the car kit and radio out and with the ignition on but the engine off i could hear random clicking noise from the fuse box. I've checked all the wiring and cant find any shorts. Fuse 7 has blown once which I've replaced.

Could i have a faulty relay thats clicking for no reason? or would a short on the back right speaker blow fuse 5?

the clicking relay seems to be one of the four directly above the fuses.

Checked battery voltage. 12.0 at rest after parked up for a few hours, 14.0 running.

On a separate issue that may or may not be connected, for the last year the car often rests up for weeks on end and then if you go to start it there is a few seconds pause when the ignition is turned all the way to start and the engine actually turning over. this only happens first time after a long rest, after that it starts straight away each time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Beachside's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Sedan

Thanks
    Hi friend,

Going off the information you have provided i would first start by isolating the clicking noise by. Swapping the speakers from side to side, if the noise switches sides you can identify the speaker as unserviceable and needs to be replace. From my experience speakers usually start crackling before there about to go. If the noise is still present this indicates another problem elsewhere.

The dimming of the radio light when clicking indicates to me high resistance causing voltage drop. Check terminal connections that they and correctly fitted together and earth connections to body. I have had situations where a customer has had intermittent issues going over bumps and the solution was loose terminals.

To isolate the clicking relay touch them and feel which relay is working. The clicking noise in a relay is the contacts opening and closing when power is supplied from the switch.

Relays do click and if you have a constant clicking relay it may have a internal short. On the relays there are numbers 30, 85, 86, 87 and 87a on the same side as the terminal connections. You only need to worry about 86+ 85-, check for resistance and continuity, resistance should only be 0.050 of an ohm or somewhere there about.
    Another way to check if the relay is faulty is to replace the faulty one with a working relay.

Battery voltage when the vehicle is off should be 12.0 to 12.6 volts depending on battery age, cars age and when the vehicle was last on. 14.0 volts when the engine is on indicates the Alternator is charging correctly. Depending on make of vehicle voltage when the engine is on could be anyway from 13.8 to 15.2 volts.

I dont think your last comment about hard to start after weeks off can contribute to your clicking problem. To me this indicates low oil pressure through out engine and would be a standard issue across most late model vehicles.

If you need more help with anything please let me know..

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    mlmcelligott's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Dublin

Thanks
    Thanks Beachside. I took out all the relays below the fuses and installed them again and i havent heard any clicking since. Maybe reseating them solved the issue i was having. If it starts again ill know its a faulty relay contact and ill replace it then.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Beachside's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Sedan

Thanks
    Awesome mate happy to help

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    mlmcelligott's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Dublin

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mlmcelligott View Post
    Thanks Beachside. I took out all the relays below the fuses and installed them again and i havent heard any clicking since. Maybe reseating them solved the issue i was having. If it starts again ill know its a faulty relay contact and ill replace it then.
    thought I had it solved but its clicking again. I think it might have something to do with the lights since the clicking gets worse when they are on. I already fixed the rear light earths which were burnt out. what other earthing spits give trouble that I should check next?

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Beachside's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Sedan

Thanks
    Ok mate. I would start at the clicking relay and figure out what circuit needs attention..

You mentioned you removed all relays did you test any for continuity or resistence?

Beachside