E46 2002 330CI Clubsport -- Whats draining my battery?

Notices

Thread: E46 2002 330CI Clubsport -- Whats draining my battery?

Reply to Thread
  1. E46 2002 330CI Clubsport -- Whats draining my battery? 
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    davyb's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330CI Clubsport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    semi automatic
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    Hi folks,

Have had this problem for a while and now its starting to drive me mad, after just having had to walk 2 miles home on icy pavements...its not fun!!!

The car will start fine and run well, and then for no reason just wont start again.

Have had it into the garage and they couldnt find anything wrong apart from maybe a problem with the heater coming on but this was fixd with a new rheostat. The car was then returned to me and it sat over the holidays (2 days) and did nothing and started first time. Have been driving for the last day fine. Then finished work tonight at 9 started the car, ok, stopped at the shop for a paper, no more than 10 minutes, came out dead, nothing.

Lights come on, radio works, heater works, it just wont start.

When I turn on the ignition there is a clicking and a kind of pop coming from the speakers but the engine wont start.

It usually starts first time with a booster which I cant get arranged until tomorrow, which suggests its the battery.

We've checked the battery is charging ok when the engine is running which it is.

Ive recently fitted new lights with the angel eyes, also fitted new electric mirrors and changed the interior lights to blue LED's. Just wondered if this would affect it.

Any help, ideas, would be gratefully accepted.

Im not looking forward to the 2 mile hike back to the car first thing tomorrow morning either!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please help,

Davy

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Hassan's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    350z GT / Cooper
    Year of Manufacture:
    Dec 2004 / 2001
    Transmission Type:
    Manual / Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe / Hatchback
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davyb View Post
    Hi folks,

Have had this problem for a while and now its starting to drive me mad, after just having had to walk 2 miles home on icy pavements...its not fun!!!

The car will start fine and run well, and then for no reason just wont start again.

Have had it into the garage and they couldnt find anything wrong apart from maybe a problem with the heater coming on but this was fixd with a new rheostat. The car was then returned to me and it sat over the holidays (2 days) and did nothing and started first time. Have been driving for the last day fine. Then finished work tonight at 9 started the car, ok, stopped at the shop for a paper, no more than 10 minutes, came out dead, nothing.

Lights come on, radio works, heater works, it just wont start.

When I turn on the ignition there is a clicking and a kind of pop coming from the speakers but the engine wont start.

It usually starts first time with a booster which I cant get arranged until tomorrow, which suggests its the battery.

We've checked the battery is charging ok when the engine is running which it is.

Ive recently fitted new lights with the angel eyes, also fitted new electric mirrors and changed the interior lights to blue LED's. Just wondered if this would affect it.

Any help, ideas, would be gratefully accepted.

Im not looking forward to the 2 mile hike back to the car first thing tomorrow morning either!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please help,

Davy
    I think its probably to do with either your after market angel eyes or maybe your battey is worn and needs replacing? BMW batteries have a life span of 6 years then they become very weak apparantly. I had to get mine replaced recently and the car fires up much quicker ever since I got it changed! The car used to struggle to start sometimes, but it always started first time though.

It may be something to do with your angel eyes?

Get rich or die tryin'...
    BFUK Nightshift Crew member

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hassan For This Useful Post:

davyb (30-12-2009)

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,115 Times in 5,338 Posts
    See if you can perform a parasitic drain procedure. Have a search on this site

6. The Following User Says Thank You to xXNealXx For This Useful Post:

davyb (30-12-2009)

7. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    davyb's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330CI Clubsport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    semi automatic
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    Thanks H,

The battery is brand new, first thing I changed when the problem started. Worked ok for a couple of weeks then back to the same.

I'll have a look for the drain thing. What does it actually do? Would the garage not have tried this when they were looking for the problem?

Cheers,

Davy

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Kevin Whittaker's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E30 325iSE, E36 M3 convertible and E91 330i Msport
    Year of Manufacture:
    1988, 1997 & 2008
    Transmission Type:
    Manual, Manual & Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe, Convertible & Touring
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,020 Times in 3,812 Posts
    Faulty battery perhaps, not unheard of... I would try to get a "Drop test" done on that to make sure it is Tip-Top

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    davyb's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330CI Clubsport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    semi automatic
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    Car started again with the booster, no problem.

Found out that when the electric mirrors were fitted they had to be wired in differently.

Turns out that my original ones were power mirrors with 9 or 12 connections cant remember which. However the new mirrors only had 6 wires and different connections. The mechanic cut connections off the originals and wired them to the new ones and left the excess ones isolated.

Now the mirrors can be electrically adjusted, but when in reverse, the passenger side one moves down to see the kerb but has to be moved back up manually using the buttons.

Also while im on here the driver side mirror does not have a motor in it, the new one does but the original one didnt, is this correct. there is no wiring for a motor to the drivers side mirror although it does adjust electrically.

I might add that the car was bought as crash repaired. All seemed fine for a while but itnow apears that it wasn't very well repaired. The good news is everything has been fixed properly by a good mechanic now, albeit at quite a cost (about £2k). Now the only thing is this drain and the tv/satnav bit. I dont suppose they could be connected!!!!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davyb View Post
    I'll have a look for the drain thing. What does it actually do? Would the garage not have tried this when they were looking for the problem?
    It lets you check what circuit is/may be draining your battery. Be sure to leave the car switched off for half an hour or so before you start checking to allow the various modules to go to sleep.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Find-a-Parasitic-Battery-Drain