318ti se
    Year of Manufacture:
    51 Plate
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    compact

Thanks
    I`m hoping someone on bimmerforums can help me out a little. i bought my car over a month ago, at first it cut out on me, periodically, once every 2 days. the cut out would happen both when i am driving and stationary. all the dash board lights come on, including ASC and the temp gauge goes from the middle to red. on most occasions the car starts fine again if you wait a few moments. and none of the dash lights remain.

i took it back to the dealer they looked at it and changed the cam sensor which was faulty and apparently causing the cut outs.

So i get the car back drive it and notice in idle, the car revs by itself now, hits just under 2000 revs, it goes up and down repeatedly, but when i turn the air con on it will stop revving by itself.

the day after getting the car back i go to start the car and it will not start. same thing as before with the cut out, all dash lights come on temp gauge hits red and stays there.

i took it back to the dealerships mechanics again, they apparently could not find any fault with the car, and assured me the car would not cut out whilst driving again and they were clueless about the revving, they said they hooked up to the diagnostic machine again and no error codes came out.

well i have had the car back just under a week and today whilst driving, i`m in 3rd slowing down for a mini roundabout and it cuts out. after a few moments it starts again.

any ideas please?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Mr OBD's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 M3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Split Vac hose maybe? Can be a common cause of rough idle and cutting out..... Not always going to throw up a fault code either.
    1st> 2004 Seat Ibiza 1.2
    2nd> 2005 Seat Ibiza 1.9TDI FR
    3rd> 1991 VW Polo Coupe 1.3
    4th> 1990 Honda CRX Del Sol
    5th> 1998 BMW E36 328
    6th> 2003 BMW E46 M3

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,115 Times in 5,338 Posts
    My guess is a DME problem. Might be worth checking the E-box for damp as the DME relay resides in there.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    masterkui's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318ti se
    Year of Manufacture:
    51 Plate
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    compact

Thanks
    thanks gents, i`ll get both checked out.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    masterkui's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318ti se
    Year of Manufacture:
    51 Plate
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    compact

Thanks
    just an update - took the vehicle to someone i know with a diagnostic machine, he is convinced it is the O2 sensor. the sensor was not working properly when tested.

i do have one other question for you guys, is it possible to check the proper mileage by holding down the mileage reset button on the dash and turning the ignition? the mechanic i took it to did this and the dash display went into some service mode. it showed the mileage as 85k rather than the 37k claimed by the dealer and the mileage counter on the car. the dealership claim those numbers are not actually the total mileage but other info about the car. can anyone clear this up?