E39 E46 X5 Old Key to "New" Key Flip Case conversion. Would it work?

Notices

Thread: E39 E46 X5 Old Key to "New" Key Flip Case conversion. Would it work?

Reply to Thread
  1. E39 E46 X5 Old Key to "New" Key Flip Case conversion. Would it work? 
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Benoni's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    520D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Hey Guys,

I have an E39 with a diamond 433Mhz 3 button key and a simple spare key. My diamond key is after-market of which the case opens as the battery of my original ran out and i got a new case, soldered a new battery in and had the key grinded(?) for € 5.
    BMW e39 Keys.jpg
    As i am always surfing on ebay and other sites to see if there are new 'upgrades' available for my car I came on to the following conversion case (€10-25, depends where you buy it). It is supposed to convert your diamond key to the newer types of keys however the best thing about this 'new' design is the key actually flips. don't have to worry which pocket my key is in, phone scratches, pointy end, etc
    BMW conversion case.jpg
    I did not order one but first found several cases on eBay.de (i live in Holland) to see it would really work. I found out it works ONLY if you have a seperate transponder in the Diamond key. Of course in my case the ID44 transponder is soldered to the green circuit board and in that case the new conversion key case would not start the car. If you have a separate transponder in your diamond key you supposedly can just transfer everything. Something like this:
    BMW case chip.jpg
    Now i was wondering... My simple spare key (which has is worn and cracked) has a separate transponder. The only thing i would need is a key circuit board with 433Mhz to program with my car. (Programming is really easy, many tutorials on the web). After a long search on eBay i found out you can buy a remote circuit board for a BMW diamond key in China for in between €15-25.
    BMW-3-Button-Remote-Key-Board-433MHz_3524068_a.jpg

If i would buy the circuit board, take out the transponder from my simple spare key, buy a conversion case, assemble all, have the key cut/grinded and initialize the remote circuit board, would it work ? I am inclined to Say it would... Any thoughts on this key case conversion?

i would still have the diamond key and instead of the simple spare key a nice flip key. It would only cost around €25-35

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Ewal's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i E46 2.0i SE touring
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Yep I agree should work !! Just Chinese electronics usually = rubbish bin after a few weeks lol

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    wagwan's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    525d m sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Yeah should work mate, keep us updated on how it goes as I would like to do this.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Benoni's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    520D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewal View Post
    Yep I agree should work !! Just Chinese electronics usually = rubbish bin after a few weeks lol
    I know, but the only other option is to get a used key, pry it open, probably change the battery, etc. In addition most of these diamond key's have the transponder soldered on the circuit board, I am not sure if you just can add the non-soldered transponder from the spare key and if it will work without interference.

This circuit board is just €15 (£ 12) including transport (no import costs as it is below €22). It works both on 315Mhz & 433Mhz and it comes with a non-rechargeable battery which has to last at least 2 years. Let's say it will be rubbish bin after a few weeks, You can still unlock the car with the key (manually) and you can still start the car as the transponder is in the conversion case. Yes, the alarm will go off, but as you start the car it will shut up after a few seconds.

Anyway, as soon as i get the circuit board and the new key case i will try to start the car with my original circuit board (with the soldered transponder) from the diamond key and the transponder from the spare key. If that works it means i can just put any circuit board in from any used key, as long as i have the transponder from the spare key and there is no interference. (I remember i have read somewhere on ebay you CAN do this but i will let you guys now as soon as i have the key). China-Netherlands will take a few weeks though

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Benoni's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    520D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Ordered one, will let you guys know more when i receive the Circuit board

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Benoni's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    520D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Quick Update, Got the Chinese Circuit board in. Within 11 Days of payment Hongkong-Netherlands.

The circuit board works both on 315 Mhz as 433 Mhz, by pressing some order of buttons you change the frequency. It does not recharge but they claim the battery will hold at least 2 years and it is very easy to put a new one in. Circuit board looks decent enough. Simple, but decent (More is Less :P )

1. Came as default on 315 Mhz, Followed the instructions on paper attached for Frequency change.
    2. Went outside to my car with the Chinese Circuit Board & my Diamond Key with BMW original Circuit board with Sold-on ID44 Transponder. Housing of my Diamond key is not Original as i changed my battery a while ago, My housing Clicks Open so i am able to switch the circuit boards -> Important Later for Test ID44 & Circuit Board Point 5
    3. Did Remote Initialization (First ignition, take key out, hold open, press close 3 x, release open,) for my Diamond Key directly afterwards the Chinese Circuit Board -> Worked Right Away, Lock, Unlock, Open Trunk. So far so good

Now the Important part
    4. Opened my Spare key and took the Separate ID44 Transponder out.
    5. Opened my Diamond Key, Replaced the Original Circuit Board with the Chinese one & Put the ID44 Transponder in. See Photo ! Now the car should theoretically start.
    6. Went to my car, Unlock -> Put key in ignition & Car starts
    IMAG0178.jpg
    Conclusion -> Circuit board Fine & ID44 Transponder from Spare Key fine

Last thing to do is to order the conversion case and put the Chinese Circuit board & ID44 Transponder in. There is a key maker which makes my key for €5 euro's so that will not be a problem. He already did it one time for the new Diamond Key i got when i changed the Battery. When all is done i will post a final update.

EDIT: Just ordered a conversion case on EBay.co.uk: € 13.50 Including Transportation to Holland. For you guys P&P is free, Price 7,99 Pounds.
    Before you order on make sure you have the right Key Blade ! Several types where made for bmw.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    wagwan's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    525d m sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
    Quick Update, Got the Chinese Circuit board in. Within 11 Days of payment Hongkong-Netherlands.

The circuit board works both on 315 Mhz as 433 Mhz, by pressing some order of buttons you change the frequency. It does not recharge but they claim the battery will hold at least 2 years and it is very easy to put a new one in. Circuit board looks decent enough. Simple, but decent (More is Less :P )

1. Came as default on 315 Mhz, Followed the instructions on paper attached for Frequency change.
    2. Went outside to my car with the Chinese Circuit Board & my Diamond Key with BMW original Circuit board with Sold-on ID44 Transponder. Housing of my Diamond key is not Original as i changed my battery a while ago, My housing Clicks Open so i am able to switch the circuit boards -> Important Later for Test ID44 & Circuit Board Point 5
    3. Did Remote Initialization (First ignition, take key out, hold open, press close 3 x, release open,) for my Diamond Key directly afterwards the Chinese Circuit Board -> Worked Right Away, Lock, Unlock, Open Trunk. So far so good

Now the Important part
    4. Opened my Spare key and took the Separate ID44 Transponder out.
    5. Opened my Diamond Key, Replaced the Original Circuit Board with the Chinese one & Put the ID44 Transponder in. See Photo ! Now the car should theoretically start.
    6. Went to my car, Unlock -> Put key in ignition & Car starts
    Attachment 47470
    Conclusion -> Circuit board Fine & ID44 Transponder from Spare Key fine

Last thing to do is to order the conversion case and put the Chinese Circuit board & ID44 Transponder in. There is a key maker which makes my key for €5 euro's so that will not be a problem. He already did it one time for the new Diamond Key i got when i changed the Battery. When all is done i will post a final update.

EDIT: Just ordered a conversion case on EBay.co.uk: € 13.50 Including Transportation to Holland. For you guys P&P is free, Price 7,99 Pounds.
    Before you order on make sure you have the right Key Blade ! Several types where made for bmw.
    Brilliant write up mate iv been following this for some time, could you tell me where you got all of the things from ?

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Benoni's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    520D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Lots of research, just connecting the dots. Just looking at tons of info on the internet from BMW keys regarding Transponders, it is all there, you just have to find it. I have been very busy with work and school and didn't had time to follow up on this, but what i have seen is that the chinese green board has a different way of holding the battery connected and therefore the new key has to be adapted, just made a little bit wider.

However, even as the original green board fits in the key I dont like the key. It feels forced in there, there are no nice 'clicks' when you press the button, you feel there is pressure on the board. I do not want to say its rubbish but i would not recommend it.

I found a movie on youtube from a guy in America who tried to do the same as me and had similar conclusions. The case is too tight and it just doesnt feel good.

So what i am going to do now is the following.

I have bought a green circuit board which works fine and fits in the diamond key housing. In the worst case scenario i can build a new diamond key as i have the transponder from my simple spare key and this green board. A new case is like € 10. I had only one diamond key so i will have two now. But i still have the new conversion case which i am going to try to adapt to make the green board fit in more 'losely'. When i have time i am going to try and see where exactly the green board need some more room and adapt the case. I think i can make it work. When i am done i will upload photo's etc. The idea of not having a key beard in my pocket but the new type is very appealing

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Benoni's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    520D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wagwan View Post
    Brilliant write up mate iv been following this for some time, could you tell me where you got all of the things from ?

Do you mean the info or do you mean the Green circuit board, transponder, conversion case?

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    madbull's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Hello to all,
    I will try to tell you all my adventure of the last days.
    I have an bmw 320d e46 year 2000.
    I have found on ebay an conversion case for my key, without thinking and reserch i bought it.
    This monday the key arrive, i don't want to start doing nothing without read some information, so, i remenber something about the transponder on the ebay listing description so i have gone read the listing again, which is when i found that if my car key does not have the transponder separate from the button board this tape of case wasn't for me.
    So first i have cutted the original key to find out if it will be an easy mod.
    For my surprise or not, my transponder is in the buttons board, so i have gone to search a bit on the internet and find out that's a common problem since there are two types of key.
    Today I have gone to key making house to cut the profile of the conversion case key and take my alternate key that i never used, it's a regular key but don't have buttons only have the transponder inside. After having the profile cutted and ask to the seller of the store to try to read the code from the new conversion key. Nothing, it doesn't read nothing, so i was thinking that's the all problem, the transponder it's two far away from the reader, so i gave him the alternate key that doesn't have buttons ( only transponder) and ask him to read it, and no problem at all, the machine read the code. So i ask him if he have transponder in house, for my surprise he said yes, that's an common chip. So i ask him to code a new chip with the code of my alternaste chip, he have done it and i have put it inside the new conversion case key in the destines place, it's at front of the button board.
    After that i have gone to my car and voila. All perfect. The car runs very well. So I have two transponders inside my case key, the original transponder soldered to the button board and one at front.
    I can say I spend 24Euros on cutting the key and on the new transponder chip with the programming included. The price of the conversion case was 18 Euros with postages to Portugal in my case, but there are many prices to choose on ebay.
    Conclusion: I don't have to cut my spare key to remove the transponder.
    Hope this information helps to anyone as this thread help me.
    Last edited by madbull; 07-11-2013 at 14:01.