Model of Car:
    E36 M3 Compact Rally Car
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    M
    Car Body Type:
    Compact

Thanks
    Cheers for that. The car is a tarmac rally car so over fuelling around town not an issue for me however your thoughts re tuning and overall running do apply! Do you think a single 2.75 bore sport cat would be ok? I was hoping to get away with just the cat and rear silencer but I think I'll need to squeeze in another silencer too to get within noise limits - around 100db.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

RYM
    Legendary BFuk Member
    Car Details
    RYM's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,935 Times in 3,119 Posts
    Whilst we're on this subject.... does anyone know how to get around removing the vanos on the M3. I've read it can be done as there was a brief write up in Performance BMW

Only 2 lambda pre-cat sensors on an E36 M3

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    Slacker-ray's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Car Body Type:
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by A20 RYM View Post
    Whilst we're on this subject.... does anyone know how to get around removing the vanos on the M3. I've read it can be done as there was a brief write up in Performance BMW

Only 2 lambda pre-cat sensors on an E36 M3

How's it hanging A20??

Removing the Vanos on the 3.0 is straight forward mate- no timing tools needed- its just a case of unbolting it- the evo's are a headache, they need locking pins to time everything up, a special cam rotating tool, then vanos needs re-synced after installation.

But.........there is a small nut at the end of the gear shaft behind the front Vanos cover (no5 below)

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...04&hg=11&fg=15

You will need to hold the shaft still.........I think its a 7mm and then undo the nut on the end.............problem is holding the shaft still- you'll need to an offset spanner to get in there.........I had to heat up an old offset spanner and angle it even more.

apart from that mate.......its pretty much straight forward.

There is what looks like a little bush behind the left handside of the vanos unit where it meets the gear..............before removing the vanos away from the head- place a rag underneath the vanos between the unit and head, you don't want that bush coming loose and falling down into the engine.

Why u removing the vanos mate? is it buggered?

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    Slacker-ray's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Car Body Type:
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker-ray View Post
    How's it hanging A20??

Removing the Vanos on the 3.0 is straight forward mate- no timing tools needed- its just a case of unbolting it- the evo's are a headache, they need locking pins to time everything up, a special cam rotating tool, then vanos needs re-synced after installation.

But.........there is a small nut at the end of the gear shaft behind the front Vanos cover (no5 below)

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...04&hg=11&fg=15

You will need to hold the shaft still.........I think its a 7mm and then undo the nut on the end.............problem is holding the shaft still- you'll need to an offset spanner to get in there.........I had to heat up an old offset spanner and angle it even more.

apart from that mate.......its pretty much straight forward.

There is what looks like a little bush behind the left handside of the vanos unit where it meets the gear..............before removing the vanos away from the head- place a rag underneath the vanos between the unit and head, you don't want that bush coming loose and falling down into the engine.

Why u removing the vanos mate? is it buggered?
    Sorry mate,

Just re-read the thread.....................do u mean you want to run the car without the vanos? or take it off to replace?

If you want to run it without the vanos then.............no don't knbow mate.........but I am very intrigued.........

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12