316i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Hi Boys,
    I have a problem with the brake lights on my 316i Compact 1996. The lights do not come on when the pedal is pressed. I had this once before and found that the cables in the plug on the brake light switch had pushed back slightly and were not making contact. Easy fix. I now have the same problem again and cant sort it. I have checked the bulbs, fuse, switch on the brake pedal and as much wiring as I can see by taking the under dash panels off. I am getting 12 volts to the rear light panel on the right side and all the other lights work. The upper brake light on the tailgate is out too. Any ideas?
    Regards,
    Dermobear.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    beammeupscotty's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Hi Dermobear. 'I am getting 12 volts to the rear light panel on the right side' ? explain please.

Had the same problem on my 316i a year ago. on both occasions it was the switch on the pedal. I managed to fix it the first time around but second time I had to replace it as the connection inside broke. Are you sure the switch is ok? A couple month ago the wiring that passes from boot to tailgate got chopped in half (where it passes the hinges and then goes into boot lid) and that sent the lot up the wall! Took a while to get it all back plus a comfort relay box. Might be different on your compact but worth a look.

Regards.

Sam.