Model of Car:
    BMW 318 CONVERTIBLE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    CONVERTIBLE / COUPE

Thanks
    I bet you guys are sick to death off people asking this ? Any way here go's.

I have just got myself 1995 BMW 318 CONVERTIBLE its my first bmw ever in 11 years of driving i am over the moon with it. But i got a few problems the electric windows is the biggest pain.

All the windows work the passanger can be a little tempermental it would not go down when i first got in yesterday by the time i got to the end of the road i tryed again an it worked,when i am driving along the passanger window drops 5mm like when you open the door but it keep repeating its self,going down 5mm up 5mm very fast, if i open it a little this stops.

The drivers door the window dont drop 5mm when opened once close it dont go up 5mm leaving a gap around the seal that leaks water when raining, but it works perfectly other than that.

can any one help or point in the right direction
    cheers Alex

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

3. help ! "Convertible Issues" 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    astro2k's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    BMW 318 CONVERTIBLE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    CONVERTIBLE / COUPE

Thanks
    I have hunted loads of post regarding window problems,but not found one like mine.... from what i can see there's a few things that could be at fault relays,window/door motor,regulators...ect i dont think the switchs are at fault as my window would not work at all.

When i put the roof down are the widows ment to drop half way ?
    only when i put the roof up the wind drop half way before the hood comes over.

I dont no any one with a bmw that i could ask or see working as it should. could this be some other indication as to what's at fault with my car.

Can anyone help

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,115 Times in 5,338 Posts
    You know, I heard a myth that you can reset the electric window mechanism. You do this by lowering the windows all the way down and holding the down button for 10secs, followed by raising the windows all the way up and holding the up button for 10secs. Only a myth, so don't take my word for it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to xXNealXx For This Useful Post:

astro2k (03-10-2008)

Thanks
    As mentioned above see this thread. It may help
    http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...an-inch-t2105/

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gildersol For This Useful Post:

astro2k (03-10-2008)

8. Hallelujah I sussed it 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    astro2k's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    BMW 318 CONVERTIBLE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    CONVERTIBLE / COUPE

Thanks
    I am now over the moon to say the least
    Its taken me all week, but i got it !!! all the sweat,blood,door stripping.....but it was well worth it.

Because my central locking now works on the alarm, it great opens an closes where as before it would only open (for a mo i did think my alarm was faulty too) and that this was going to cost mega £££££.

All it was as the door closes, theres a small micro switch bulit into the door catch, located half way up the door pillar. As the door closes it pushes it in trigering the electric window.... allowing it to drop by 5mm as the door closes,it then go's up 5mm under the roof, sealing the gap...no more leaks

So all it was is a worn bit of pastic.....covering the door switch, that presses in as the door closes.

For now a bit of card an some tape to pack it out so now they both meet,it works a treat, time to find the cheapest place to buy one... if anyone Knows of a place let me no !!!!

Thanks all for your help.!.!.!.!. without your posts i would never of known that switch was there... in other cars i have had its a big black thick plastic spring loaded switch that works the interior light...ect You cant miss them they stick out a mile

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,115 Times in 5,338 Posts
    Hats off to you m8...you sorted it yourself

10. The Following User Says Thank You to xXNealXx For This Useful Post:

astro2k (03-10-2008)

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Srader's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i Convertible
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by astro2k View Post
    I am now over the moon to say the least
    Its taken me all week, but i got it !!! all the sweat,blood,door stripping.....but it was well worth it.

Because my central locking now works on the alarm, it great opens an closes where as before it would only open (for a mo i did think my alarm was faulty too) and that this was going to cost mega £££££.

All it was as the door closes, theres a small micro switch bulit into the door catch, located half way up the door pillar. As the door closes it pushes it in trigering the electric window.... allowing it to drop by 5mm as the door closes,it then go's up 5mm under the roof, sealing the gap...no more leaks

So all it was is a worn bit of pastic.....covering the door switch, that presses in as the door closes.

For now a bit of card an some tape to pack it out so now they both meet,it works a treat, time to find the cheapest place to buy one... if anyone Knows of a place let me no !!!!

Thanks all for your help.!.!.!.!. without your posts i would never of known that switch was there... in other cars i have had its a big black thick plastic spring loaded switch that works the interior light...ect You cant miss them they stick out a mile
    Very interesting. I have a similar problem with my convertible where the drivers window doesnt always go up that last 5mm. I will try to pack it out and see if it works. Thanks
    Srader

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,051 Times in 5,322 Posts
    I missed this as I was away but as soon as I read your post I said "it's the switch on the latch", your interior light should have been flashing on and off as well, the early e36's didn't have the switch on the latch, they had them built in with the lock, so worth remembering for the early guys, see here http://home.earthlink.net/~frankie66...croswitch.html

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ronnie For This Useful Post:

astro2k (06-10-2008)