BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Camshaft Position Sensor Reference Voltage Too High?

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  adhen 
#1 ·
I have error code P0340 indicating a faulty Camshaft position sensor circuit fault. It's a 318i M43 engine so only has one CPS apparently. I figured as its a 13 year old car there was a good chance the sensor is at fault so replaced I it. Neither before or after I replaced it did it give me an engine light, but it still shows up on my OBD scanner as a fault even after replacing it with an OEM sensor.

So I tested the harness with a multimeter following Bentleys manual youtube video. But my pin 2 reference voltage shows 10 volts, whereas in the video his showed 5 volts and said that was normal. He was testing on an M54 engine but I imagine the voltage would be the same for mine?

Does anyone know if my reference voltage is too high and if so what do I do next?

#2 ·
I have the same error code P0340 on my 2000 318ci. I can reset the code with my Samsung phone and OBD bluetooth adapter. but after 50 miles or so the management light comes back on. I did the same as you and checked the voltage, expecting it to be 5 volts as per the video, and like you my multimeter showed 10 volts. So perhaps this correct for the M43 engine. I also have error code P0170 which is a fuel trim malfunction.

After reading your post I'm reluctant to buy a new CPS until I can be sure thats the problem!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.