Model of Car:
    318ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Hi there this is my first post so i hope i am doing it correctly.
    Basically i have owned my bmw e46 318ci now for 5 weeks and when ibought it the guy said that the passanger mirror does not work and all it needed was a fuse, i changed the fuse (31) which did not make the mirror work. just the drivers side worked like before so since then i have just moved it with my hand when ever i needed to move it.

Today i took the passanger door card off to sort a rattle and saw the wiring harness was not connected great i thought so i plugged them into each other and hey presto when i just turned my ignition on (not fully starting my engine) both mirrors worked perfect

BUT when i took my g.f home 3 hours later i noticed an electrical burning smell and tested my mirrors and neither of them work, fuse 31 has blown and the swich seems to have broken as the joystick is very slack and will not click up. so i lifted it out of the door card and the white electrical plug was all burnt and smelt hot.

I dont know if it is the switch at fault as it was fine before i connected the passanger mirror into the wiring loom.
    OR
    If i have a short somewhere in the wiring.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    sam1832's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    convertable Msport
    Thanks
    hmmmm,

do you have a multi-meter with a continutiy tester (beep) on it?

if it was me, i would disconnect the connection that you made in the door, and bell through the wiresin the plug towards the mirror to see if you have a short of any kind through the wiring,

it seems more than concidence that you have recconnected the mirror now something has burnt out

most probably why it was dissconected in the first place

out of instrest, what size was the fuse that blew? and what size should it be, you would of thought the fuse would blow before any damage was caused

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Hodgi69's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Yer I have a multi meter, so I am going to check to voltage from the passenger wing mirror, fuse 31 should be a 5amp fuse and thats what I put it it.

The fuse blew and the wing mirror switch has just melted and stinks,

I dont know wether it's the actual switch which is at fault or if it is something else near the wing mirror.
    I have got another switch comeing which is costing £22 but I don't want it to blow as soon as I connect it up. So I need to do some tests befor I connect it. Which is where I need help as I don't know what to test and what the results should be.

Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    sam1832's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    convertable Msport
    Thanks
    the plug that you recconnected, how many terminals does it have in it?

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Hodgi69's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    im not to sure i think it has about 4 wires going into it.

I am going to take the door card back off on thursday to make sure no wires are trapped and then maybe take it to an auto electrician if i havnt sorted it by then.

there is 2 plugs which go into the switch on the drivers door one is black one is grey.
    The grey one you can see where it has burnt on the 2 end pins inside the terminal block. and it stinks.
    that has burnt through to the switch which has melted the actual switch so they joysticks is all loose and floppy.

I have a new switch comeing in the post but i do not want to re-connect it back up for it to melt again.

Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    sam1832's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    convertable Msport
    Thanks
    the four wires will be two pairs, and each pair will be connected together through the mirror motors

you have decide which are pairs,

and then bell through between the other wires .... so if you are saying pin 1 & 2 are pairs and 3 & 4 are pairs

bell between:
    1 - 3
    1-4
    2-3
    2-4

to see if you have a short anywhere

you could also bell each pin to ground, to see if you have a short to ground too

8. I have the same issue 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Ryzeger's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    323Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Hodgi,

I just bought an E46 and have the same issue. When I got the car none of the mirrors tilted although they folded inwards. I had a look at the fuses and one of them was visibly blown. I replaced both of them in any case and the passenger side mirror has started working again although the driver side is still not working. I have a rattle in my driver side door which I'm going to have a look at as soon as I get a trim removal tool, while I'm in there I'll have a look at the mirror wiring too.

If you have any updates on a solution to your problem please post.

9. Any update 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Vicky5117's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330Ci Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Convertable

Thanks
    Hi. I am new to this site but have been reading lots of posts about the door mirror issues. Mine don't work at all from the switch but dips in reverse. It is not the switch or the wiring in the door as this has been checked. Has anyone found a solution or would the issue be picked up by a diagnostic check as some garages say it will and some say it won't. I really want to get them fixed butvdontvwant to
    At loads for diagnostics for no results. Thank you for any assistance
    Vicky

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Tim-Ci's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 330Ci Convertible
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible
    Images
    Thanks
    As yours is a facelift car going off the car in your user info, it's quite likely it's an issue with the ribbon cables for the driver's mirror. The driver's side contains components that are used for both mirrors to operate, so when the cable on it breaks both mirror can stop working. I had the same behaviour on mine when I bought it, only the mirror dipping was working. The fix was to replace the driver's side mirror internal assembly which cost about £150 from a dealer for the part, I fitted the mirror bits myself which took a couple of hours.

By the way, on mine, I was getting error codes for the passenger side mirror, but the fault was only in the driver's mirror, this was a false alarm, caused by the driver's mirror affecting the working of the passenger one too. So I would say no, a diagnostic may not necessarily pinpoint the exact problem. If I had acted on the fault codes on mine I would have replaced the passenger side mirror which wasn't faulty. What helped me to decide what to do was when I examined the cable to each mirror - the driver's side mirror ribbon cable was split and corroed, and the passenger side one looked perfect, so I ignored the fault codes and replaced the driver's side one, which fixed the problems. I guess that the driver's side door might see a bit more wear as that door gets used more.

For a better diagnosis you would be best having a garage remove the driver's side door trim, unbolt the mirror, and examine the state of the flat white ribbon cable to the driver's side door mirror to see if it looks damaged.