bmw 320d 2001 obd1 or 2 ?

Notices
 

Thread: bmw 320d 2001 obd1 or 2 ?

Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. bmw 320d 2001 obd1 or 2 ? 
    #1
    BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    ally18's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d & 118d msport
    Year of Manufacture:
    2001 & 2009
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    ally18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    209
    Images
    2
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 27 Times in 26 Posts
    Know been asked loads but can find the answer 100%. I have a BMW 320d 2001 New shape but what oBd do I have? Know all about when they had to be obd2 on diesel cars and know some where before but not sure if my car is or isn't. Can someone that knows say what scanner will for sure work on my bmw. Just want a scanner that will read codes and clear codes and won't break the bank. Thanks
     
     

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  3.  
    #2
    BMW Guru
    Car Details
    TheEnd's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    540
    Year of Manufacture:
    1998
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    TheEnd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    8,981
    Thanks
    478
    Thanked 2,990 Times in 2,440 Posts
    It's neither, really, OBD1 and 2 are US standards that aren't in Euro cars.

    An ELM327 obd2 reader won't work on your car, only petrols from about 2001 and diesels from 2004.

    Grab yourself an INPA lead from ebay, it'll do far more than an ELM lead will.
     
     

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to TheEnd For This Useful Post:

    ally18 (06-06-2012)

  5.  
    #3
    Moderator
    Car Details
    matthew_henson's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E61 525d Touring
    Year of Manufacture:
    2005
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring/Estate
    matthew_henson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Forest Of Dean
    Posts
    4,210
    Thanks
    904
    Thanked 1,412 Times in 1,223 Posts
    Older 136bhp 320d's (pre 1999) have the round connector in the engine bay newer ones have the rectangular OBD II style connector above to the bonnet release under the steering wheel, I suspect yours in the later version, as Enda says just by the blue cable kit off ebay along with INPA software, some of the versions of INPA only ebay only support the BMW DDE 4.0 ECU's (150bhp) but it is easy to patch the DDE 3.0 in to it
     
     

  6. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  7.  
    #4
    BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    P_Monty's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330Ci Msport
    Year of Manufacture:
    2004
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    wiltshire
    Posts
    182
    Images
    3
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Hope nobody minds me jumping in here with a similar question - saves starting a new topic.
    I've just bought a blue driver bluetooth obd reader. My 2002 E46 320d touring has the rectangular obd connector next to the bonnet release. The small print for the reader says
    "(For vehicles sold in Europe: Older than 2001 for petrol vehicles and older than 2004 for diesel may not work)

    Supported Protocols: ISO 15765-4 (CAN), ISO 9141-2, ISO 14230-4 (KWP2000), SAE J1850 (VPW & PWM)."

    Surprise surprise, I've just discovered it doesn't work. So, does anyone know if I've got a faulty unit, or does my car not support those protocols?

    Thanks.
     
     

  8.  
    #5
    Moderator
    Car Details
    matthew_henson's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E61 525d Touring
    Year of Manufacture:
    2005
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring/Estate
    matthew_henson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Forest Of Dean
    Posts
    4,210
    Thanks
    904
    Thanked 1,412 Times in 1,223 Posts
    BMW have their own "head" for older vehicles known as EDIABAS server, it is basically a software server link between a USB OBD II cable with pins 7&8 soldered together and INPA software.

    This will work on BMW's up to 2007 and thereafter it needs to be D-CAN or K-Line interface
     
     

  9.  
    #6
    BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    ally18's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d & 118d msport
    Year of Manufacture:
    2001 & 2009
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    ally18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    209
    Images
    2
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 27 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEnd View Post
    It's neither, really, OBD1 and 2 are US standards that aren't in Euro cars.

    An ELM327 obd2 reader won't work on your car, only petrols from about 2001 and diesels from 2004.

    Grab yourself an INPA lead from ebay, it'll do far more than an ELM lead will.
    thanks that has helped clear things up. just one more thing is this the lead i need.

    BMW USB Diagnostics OBD Cable Interface lead Ediabas Inpa GT1 DIS | eBay



    Quote Originally Posted by matthew_henson View Post
    Older 136bhp 320d's (pre 1999) have the round connector in the engine bay newer ones have the rectangular OBD II style connector above to the bonnet release under the steering wheel, I suspect yours in the later version, as Enda says just by the blue cable kit off ebay along with INPA software, some of the versions of INPA only ebay only support the BMW DDE 4.0 ECU's (150bhp) but it is easy to patch the DDE 3.0 in to it
    hi yes mine is the rectangular OBD II later version 150bhp


    Quote Originally Posted by P_Monty View Post
    Hope nobody minds me jumping in here with a similar question - saves starting a new topic.
    I've just bought a blue driver bluetooth obd reader. My 2002 E46 320d touring has the rectangular obd connector next to the bonnet release. The small print for the reader says
    "(For vehicles sold in Europe: Older than 2001 for petrol vehicles and older than 2004 for diesel may not work)

    Supported Protocols: ISO 15765-4 (CAN), ISO 9141-2, ISO 14230-4 (KWP2000), SAE J1850 (VPW & PWM)."

    Surprise surprise, I've just discovered it doesn't work. So, does anyone know if I've got a faulty unit, or does my car not support those protocols?

    Thanks.
    i have no problem with you jumping in because what ever works for me is also same for you. mine and yours are the same, mines a late 2001 almost the 2002 year. if this lead is right for me then thats the lead for you.
     
     

  10.  
    #7
    Moderator
    Car Details
    matthew_henson's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E61 525d Touring
    Year of Manufacture:
    2005
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring/Estate
    matthew_henson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Forest Of Dean
    Posts
    4,210
    Thanks
    904
    Thanked 1,412 Times in 1,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ally18 View Post
    thanks that has helped clear things up. just one more thing is this the lead i need.

    BMW USB Diagnostics OBD Cable Interface lead Ediabas Inpa GT1 DIS | eBay
    That is the one you need, it also comes with all the software
     
     

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to matthew_henson For This Useful Post:

    ally18 (07-06-2012)

  12.  
    #8
    BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    ally18's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d & 118d msport
    Year of Manufacture:
    2001 & 2009
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    ally18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    209
    Images
    2
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 27 Times in 26 Posts
    ok thanks buy it now then. thanks for help
     
     

  13.  
    #9
    BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    P_Monty's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330Ci Msport
    Year of Manufacture:
    2004
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    wiltshire
    Posts
    182
    Images
    3
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Hmm well, I've just managed to try the device on my wife's VW and it works fine - that'll teach me to read the small print - still at least I didn't pay much for it. Unfortunately INPA isn't really an option for me at the moment as I don't possess a laptop and the desktop is a mac in a room at the back of the house nowhere near the driveway.

    Could somebody check my logic here and tell me if I'm making sense :
    The bluetooth device can read VW codes as I've just proved on my wife's car;
    People have recommended using a VAG reader with pins 7 and 8 shorted;
    wikipedia suggests OBD data is on pin 7 with 8 unused so I'm guessing BMW used pin 8 for data on that vintage car ;
    So if I make an extension lead with rectangular connectors with pins 8 and 7 shorted together is there a chance of my device working or do I risk fubaring the car electrics ?

    Thanks

    Paul
     
     

  14.  
    #10
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    xXxStKxXx's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    1993
    Transmission Type:
    man
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    North London
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    4,432
    Thanked 6,073 Times in 4,855 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew_henson View Post
    BMW have their own "head" for older vehicles known as EDIABAS server, it is basically a software server link between a USB OBD II cable with pins 7&8 soldered together and INPA software.

    This will work on BMW's up to 2007 and thereafter it needs to be D-CAN or K-Line interface
     
     

Tags for this Thread

View Tag Cloud

Posting Permissions
  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts