Model of Car:
    x5
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    4x4

Thanks
    Some time ago my trusted xp machine went dead, I tried to keep her going but in the end she got the better of me. So new laptop and... windows 8! S**T. the usual nightmare of reinstalling and personalising had to happen, not to mention getting used to, well, not the easiest of Microsoft's wonders.

Then, the bm came up with a fault and I need to get back on the road with inpa/dis and all the rest of bm's software magic. I had purchased the bmcable lead before, and this worked great on the xp 32bit machine I had. But now, windows 8 with 64bit I couldn't get it to work.

BMcables to the rescue! out the blue I had an email offering an upgrade, they would update the firmware on the lead and provide me with the relevant software. One click installation and it was supposed to work with windows 8 64. GREAT!

lead back, installed, INPA up running.... but could get no joy from dis or sss. Now INPA is great, and we all know it will do 99.9% of everything you could need... but it doesn't allow you to change and recode your injectors, it doesn't allow you to reset your transfer case after an oil change and it doesn't allow you to auto adjust your air suspension. the list probably goes on. And not to mention its Bloody annoying that something you paid for doesn't work!

the error I was getting back from dis was 200.166, or 200.159. now searching the net you'll get 'turn off all firewalls', and indeed this was the response back from bmcables. now maybe this can be a problem, but it wasnt mine.

I checked the config from the unix side and the appropriate ini files on both vm and laptop, but nothing was amiss. So then i tried pinging the vm from my machine, no answer from 192.168.68.1, nor from 192.168.68.30, so the issue was a communication break between the laptop and the vm.

In this new version it came with VMware Player, and not VMware Workstation. therefore Virtual Network Editor was missing, so i couldn't edit or see the VMnet0 or VMnet1 networks. Now, i stumbled upon a webpage that said the Editor was bundled with the installer, but not extracted. So i followed the sites guidance and managed to extract the editor. Once extracted i could see the mess it was all in, weird ip addresses, no dhcp assignment, there was no way it was gonna work.

THE FIX:
    To begin we first need to extract the VMware Player installer with some extra parameters (VMware-player.exe /e .\extract).

Copy the VMware-player.exe file from the BMcables install disc to a folder on your desktop. Open that folder and create a shortcut to VMware-player.exe you've just copied with the extra commands, so the 'target' of the shortcut would be something like ' C:\Users\USER\Desktop\FOLDER\VMware-player.exe /e .\extract '

Then you run the shortcut that creates a folder (extract) containing all the components. Go to folder "extract". We are interested in "network.cab": open or extract it and there you see "vmnetcfg.exe". It's the network editor.
    Copy or move it into the VMware Player installation folder ("\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player" should be the default path).

Now we are ready. The network editor is part of VMware Player just like in Workstation

Double click vmnetcfg.exe to run network editor.

You should see VMnet0, VMnet1, VMnet8
    1) Highlight VMnet0, make sure 'Bridged' is selected

2) Highlight VMnet1, make sure 'Host-only' is selected
    check 'Connect a host virtual adapter to this network'
    check 'use local DHCP service to distribute IP address to VMs'

3)click DHCP Settings:
    Start ip set to :192.168.68.1
    End ip set to:192.168.68.254
    Click OK

4)set subnet IP:192.168.68.0
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Click apply
    Click OK

Hopefully you're done! Try starting dis from the bmcables desktop shortcut. You should now be able to ping 192.168.68.1 and 192.168.1.30

Good luck.
    NOTE: I'm not a tech, just a very determined DIYer, I obviously accept no responsibly if you screw this up. But this worked for me.

This is the link to help with the editor extractor:
    Solved How to add the "Virtual Network Editor" to VMware Player

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Car Details
    payno's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3 Evo S Type R
    Year of Manufacture:
    1998 2003
    Transmission Type:
    Manual Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,097 Times in 1,930 Posts
    if you had gone to BMTechnic who originally wrote the one click software I doubt you would of had these problems as all the other company's have just pirated there software

Super Moderator
    Car Details
    dailydoggy's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,278 Times in 4,106 Posts
    you can recode injectors with INPA too...

http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...oding-via-INPA

330i sport a big chunk of berlin...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dailydoggy For This Useful Post:

payno (23-09-2013)

6. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    victorM3's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    x5
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    4x4

Thanks
    yeah, to bad i didnt spot BMTechnic but this hopefully helps people who, like me, have already outlaid the cash.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to victorM3 For This Useful Post:

payno (23-09-2013)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    victorM3's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    x5
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    4x4

Thanks
    thanks for that, I have heard this is possible with inpa and I have seen tubes of it, but I've not been able to find this function in the inpa version I have, so I think it may be version dependant, will have another look at it.

Super Moderator
    Car Details
    dailydoggy's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,278 Times in 4,106 Posts
    inpa will do pretty much everything DIS does bar the more in debth test pages and diagnostic sequence tests etc and the posher GUI, end of the day its what bmw used in the very beginning just far more basic to look at thats all...

DIS will get you in deeper trouble quicker if ya not careful and educated to its use....
    330i sport a big chunk of berlin...