BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Airbag warning light- reply from vsoa

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  beeswax 
#1 ·
The full reply is shown below and most significant is the last paragraph..ie

"In respect of the SRS (Supplementary Restraint System) warning lamp; a
vehicle will fail if this lamp indicates an SRS system malfunction.
However, there will be no MOT requirement for the lamp to actually work
once these changes become 'live'. "
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Presumably and hope you all concur in that as long as there is NO airbag light showing, the car will NOT fail the MOT test.

ie no requirement for the light to come on and go out after a few seconds?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Their reply..

Thank you for your email enquiry dated 22nd August 2012, concerning an
airbag.

Until recently, the content of the MOT test was the domain of the
Department for Transport and is enshrined in legislation. The test also
complied with the European Framework Directive on 'Periodic Technical
Inspection' as the MOT test is known in Europe.

However, this Framework Directive was recast in 2009 (2009/40/EC) and
amended in 2010 (2010/48/EU) to include numerous new mandatory test items.
These changes are aimed at bringing the MOT test more up to date by
including the inspection of electronic systems which are now a fundamental
part of vehicle design. They are also a step towards harmonising the test
standards across the EU.

As an EU Member State, we are legally obliged to comply with this Directive
and to introduce the new test items by 2012. The reason that these new
items have since been 'deferred' is because there have been delays in
amending our domestic legislation to accommodate the changes.

Failure to comply with the Directive is not an option and would lead to
infraction proceedings being taken against the government, resulting in
fines, potentially running to millions of Euros and continuing until such
time as the Directive is complied with.

Whilst the Department for Transport would have commented on this Directive
on behalf of the government at the proposal stage, and may well have
opposed some aspects, we now have no option but to comply with the
requirements of the Directive.

In respect of the SRS (Supplementary Restraint System) warning lamp; a
vehicle will fail if this lamp indicates an SRS system malfunction.
However, there will be no MOT requirement for the lamp to actually work
once these changes become 'live'.

I hope this information has assisted you with your enquiry, but if you have
any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us again.

See less See more
#2 ·
The paragraph seems to contradict itself.

If the object of the light coming on is to indicate an SRS fault then the failure to illuminate at all could be interpreted as a system malfunction because it means the self-test function may not be operative rendering that part of the test pointless.

In other words what they are saying is that the light isn't part of the airbag system.

It's a grey area & probably down to the individual tester to decide whether to pass or fail. Best to make sure everything is working in the first place.

#3 ·
I think most people accept your last sentence as its a safety issue and life and limb that takes priority etc and so we want all the SRS airbag systems to work correctly in the case of an accident. Of course we do.

But like all electronic systems they are prone to giving errors where there aren't any and it can be like chasing rainbows to get the light fixed and if you can't get the light off, its a failure and so the car is scrap. The other thread on airbags will tell you that even when the car has been checked and rechecked by Dealers they can't seem to solve this problem. The other thing is that the fault light cannot be cleared unless you get it done at the dealers or self help readers and yet they could have designed it so the driver could have cleared them initially at least and then if they come back then get it analysed etc..

I wonder how many warning lights we get on cars now and we get components changed unnecessarily?

#4 ·
I'm not sure it is contradictory. All they are saying is no light, no MOT failure. On the basis that if there is a fault, there will be a light? How many MOT testers will look at all the initial lights when you start the car..Having said that I believe the ABS system may be one that is checked on and off.

#5 ·
The 2 scenarios from the above are:

(A) If the light isn't seen then it has to be assumed the system is working ok as it's impossible to test , this is confirmed because the tester has to pass it.
(B) If the light IS seen & stays on then there must be a fault resulting in a fail.

Basically in the first one the light isn't classed as part of the SRS system (as it's ignored) & in the second it conveniently is part of the system again!).

How can they say the system is working properly if the malfunction light is err....possibly malfunctioning??!

#8 ·
No, they passed it under the old rules but will be a fail when the new rules are introduced which has been put back a few times. Someone said it was going to be September, then October and so who knows but as the email said, this delay is about incorporating EU law into UK law. But at least no light means its not a fail irrespective of how that is achieved but in some ways I agree with the other chap who said some MOT Testers will look at it differently with some wanting to see the initial light and then going out. I would think the BMW testers will if you take it there that is? I'm not sure what they will do when its pointed out the absence of a light at the start or after doesn't not constitute a fail under the new law? Some will be wanting to fail it to get more business no doubt? But the other thing is very few Testing Stations will be able to diagnose airbag faults on all the various cars and so that will drive us back to the main Stealers at 140 quid an hour..Or the Indies at half that rate..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.