Model of Car:
    328 Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    I've had my E36 coupe for a good few months now and spent most of my time sorting out cosmetic issues and solving the odd common issue, I've found the search function to be most helpful for this. Now the next issue I want/need to sort out is the remote central locking, with the recent cold snap we've had I'm struggle to unlock the car as the lock barrels are freezing and I can't turn the key. So having read and tried to digest Billywhizz's alarm identification thread I've tried to determine what I need to do and I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

So details that I know.......

The car's build date is Feb 1997
    I haven't found the alarm module yet, there are microwave sensors mounted at the tops of the A pillars, an LED in the centre console that looks like a blank thats been drilled and an LED popped in it & the siren looks like this:-

There is a key switch at the back of this but I don't have the key.

The EWS module looks like this:-

I only have the one key and it looks like this:-

So if I've understood billywhizz correctly do I need a remote fob that looks like this?:-

If so the billywhizz's guide suggests there are two kinds of fob so is it just pot luck? Then just to clarify, to program the fob to work with my car the guide says to prise the rubber bung from the remote receiver to access the coding switch, is the fob the remote receiver? Or do I need to find the alarm module?

Whilst were on the subject, what do I need to do to get a spare key? Is this a dealer only job?

Sorry for the thousands of questions! But your help would be greatly appreciated! It took me 20 minutes to get into my car this morning!

Cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Horch's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328 Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Anyone?

BMW Master
    Car Details
    gunslinger1's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    company car
    Year of Manufacture:
    company car
    Transmission Type:
    company car
    Car Body Type:
    company car

Thanks
    first pic is a DWA alarm siren , second pic is an EWS control unit , then standard key (no alarm function ) , alarm remote fob .
    you should find the alarm control unit behined the glove box screwed to body on the car . this alarm was not factory fit , but was fitted by the dealer , and where not that reliable at the best of times . as you have said you need to flick the little switch over in the reciver modul part of the alarm , then code your remote in to it , but your pic shows the EWS control unit and not the alarm control unit , you would be better off going and have another alarm fitted and not bother with the BMW one fitted as it would be well past it sell by date now. by the way its not uncommon for you tp prog the remote in to the alarm control unit and the alarm control unit lock out , and then you cannot move the car at all , as the imobilaiser part of the alarm is activated . to get out of that you cannot just remove the alarm control unit as there wires for the imoblaizer and the fuel pump would be open circuit and you car still wont start .

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Horch's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328 Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Thanks for that. My mate was going to let me try and get it all working with his spare remote, but if there is a chance of getting Locked out by the alarm I will give it a miss! Which is a shame as getting the stock system working would have been relatively cheap in comparison to fitting an entirely new alarm! I will try and find which alarm module is fitted over the weekend and make some enquiries about changing the alarms. How common is it that these alarms "lock out"?

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    carbers911's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318iS
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger1 View Post
    by the way its not uncommon for you tp prog the remote in to the alarm control unit and the alarm control unit lock out , and then you cannot move the car at all , as the imobilaiser part of the alarm is activated . to get out of that you cannot just remove the alarm control unit as there wires for the imoblaizer and the fuel pump would be open circuit and you car still wont start .
    This is in fact complete nonsense, the alarm has no physical connection to the immobiliser, the great thing with the E36 is that the EWS is controlled by transponder chip and talks directly to the ECU. All this alarm does is protect the perimeters of the car, plus control the c/l, again the c/l can work independently if the alarm doesnt work.
    So, all you need is a fob, if the alarm throws a fit just disconnect it and the car will be fine.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to carbers911 For This Useful Post:

Horch (17-01-2013)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Horch's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328 Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    I thought gunslingers reply was a bit dodgy but didn't like to say anything . Thanks for clearing that up mate, I'll have a go with some of my friends spare remotes and see what happens.

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    company car
    Year of Manufacture:
    company car
    Transmission Type:
    company car
    Car Body Type:
    company car

Thanks
    my reply is not dodgy ,and by you calling it that , shows you have not fitted one my friend , yes the car has EWS system , and the transponder is in the chip , but theses alarm systems connected in the fuel pump wires and and in to the DME wires . i have fitted loads of them back when this car was new . i realy do not care if you beleave me or not horch .i was just passing my 27 years of working in a bmw dealer ship on to you . and was trying to warn you of a potencial lock out of the alarm control unit . as for you carbers e your fact right befor you start moaning its incorect .

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Horch's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328 Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    No your right, I've never fitted an alarm to an E36 and i dont want to either. By the sounds of your previous posts it sounds like you didn't do a great job of it either or it wouldn't be past it's "sell by date" as you put it so you can stop blowing smoke up your 27 years of experience! I thought your reply was dodgy as in all the research I've done absolutely no one mentioned the risk of being locked out of there car after trying to synch a fob to the alarm system, your post was the first one that said rip it out and fit a new alarm! Now compare your post with the mountains of info in Billywhizz's alarm identification thread and tell me which one appears more credible? He doesn't mention this issue! So what would you believe more? Of all the electrical circuits within my e36 none of them have failed or past there sell by date yet so surely you can understand why I thought your post was a bit dodgy?

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    company car
    Year of Manufacture:
    company car
    Transmission Type:
    company car
    Car Body Type:
    company car

Thanks
    you can please your self , i can only say whay i have found out in my expriance , and you dont know my quality of work , so dont insult me please as i have not insulted you and only tryed to help you, its is plain to see you dont know much about the subject as you posted pics of the ews unit , and a key that has nothing to do with the alarm system ! . i have had the alarm control units in the past lock out when programming two remotes in . and thats the problem i am describing to you . as for billywizz may be he has not come accross that problem i dont know, i am only saying in my experiance . and that goes of my co workers as well . but i am right in what i say . i will look today at work if we still have the fitting instruction, its a long shot but i will look .

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    carbers911's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318iS
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    Ok, not been on here for a few days and I find this!
    So, to clear up any confusion, the pictures shown are for the 3G mk2 alarm....so I leave you with this:
    Guide. E36 - Retrofit 3G mk2 Alarm
    That is all

14. The Following User Says Thank You to carbers911 For This Useful Post:

Horch (24-01-2013)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast