Model of Car:
    645ci / ACS6
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible
    Thanks
    Hi all, new member here, although I've owned 2 BMWs in the last 4 years...
    Apologies for the long post, I thought I'd introduce myself and ask questions at the same time!

Used to have a 330ci with all the extras (great car but it had a solid roof and I missed aspects of the 1993 500SL I owned for 5 years before the BMW) so I sold it and bought a monster:
    A black 2004 645 manual AC Schnitzer convertible!

I wasn't that aware what the main differences between the modified ACS6 and stock 645 were when I bought it , I just fell in love with the pimped out look! Reminded me of a kind of batmobile - not that I think I'm batman, I'm far too cowardly to be a hero!

As far as I can tell it's got Schnitzer-branded front, side and rear valances, 20" Magic Black IV alloys, quad exhausts, upgraded brakes, and possibly had a suspension tweak of some sort. I though it might have been remapped, but according to AC Schnitzer they only remap the M6 and diesels, not sure how to check if there's an alternate remap applied.
    Inside it has M-styling and Schnitzer pedals, but no Schnitzer iDrive nob or dashboard, so I deduced that it was all bought and added aftermarket (at great cost no doubt!)

It sounds AMAZING. Reminds me of 60s/70s American muscle cars - Love it!

I've owned it for nearly 2 years now and have had 3 tyres needing replacing (pricey) and that's it, service is due next month. The main cost is the insurance and the petrol! I mainly drive it at weekends, and it's been on 2 summer trips down to the south of France (very pricey on petrol!)

ANYWAY...

I have had a problem with the heated seat on the driver's side - I can't use it at all any more without it melting the leather. I saw there was a recall for both the 5 and 7 series with this problem, but not for the 6. When I told the dealership, they wanted 800 quid just to diagnose the problem even though they are aware of it on the other 2 series! So I leave it turned off instead - I'm without heated seat.

Has anyone else experienced this? Apparently it's due to the wear on the bolster which shorts the wiring and causes intense focussed heat which in turn burns and melts the leather (near the base of the back part of the seat by the door). When I first noticed it I damn near crashed the car, smoke in the cabin and a funny smell, then I realised my bum was smoking!

Is there a way to report it so that BMW can add up the numbers to decide on a recall? Seeing the recall from yesterday had affected only 9 cars I thought there might be another 8 of you out there! It is definitely an issue - THE SEAT BURNS!

Aside from that, I can't fault the car - apart from the fear of punctures - best car I've owned by far!
    (Every now and then, for a laugh, I drop the back window and give my girlfriend a look - she always interprets it as there being fart in the car, so now it's known as the fart window!)

Thanks for reading this far! And please let me know of an info about the heated seat problem if you have any...

Cheers,
    Luke

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

asj
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    asj's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    645ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    Sorry cant help with the heated seats issues as not one of the faults ive had but hello and welcome.

as for the fear off punctures if you havent allready ditch the runflats get rac or aa memberships and a couple of tins of tyre weld and compressor, yopu can replace 4 non run flat tyres for the price of two run flats

Things to do:

new back boxes
    stone chip repairs

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    thebigluke's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    645ci / ACS6
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible
    Thanks
    Hi, thanks for the reply.

The tyres are already non-run flats - Michelin Pilot Sports, but at 400 quid a pop (pardon the pun) I'm still afraid! I think I was just unlucky to have 3 go within 3 months of eachother when they were all less than 12 months old...

I guess from the lack of response about the seats so far I'm alone on this one, pity... But good for everyone else!

Cheers,
    Luke