530D Major Electrical Issue SOLVED Help for others...

Notices

Thread: 530D Major Electrical Issue SOLVED Help for others...

Reply to Thread
  1. 530D Major Electrical Issue SOLVED Help for others... 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Shaun Schofield's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E61 530D
    Year of Manufacture:
    2005 (55)
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Hi to all.
    I have put this posting on as like many other 5 Series owners having problems you turn to the internet for help ,Google is ok Forums are good but its a mine field and scary.
    If this posting helps at least 1 owner find the fault on his/her car it will have been worth it.
    OK...

My problems started in Nov last year (2012) just after MOT (dont think that is relevent though) i take my car to a local independent dealer who is very good uesd them for years.
    After all work is completed the car is sent for a steam off (dont think that is relevent ),problems started one night after a late night home from work, I pressed stop button and removed the keys (it was wet this night) went to the back of the car and removed my bag.
    When i pressed the lock button a low alarm started ,i pressed the unlock button NOTHING got spare key NOTHING the alarm was sounding stopping on about 20 sec then stop, after a while would go again then it stopped compleatly (thank God).
    I tryed everything that night i open the car with the key in the fob the whole car seemed dead,no light anywhere searched internet for a solution NOTHING.
    Went out to the car in the morning pressed open button opened straight away a though nothing had ever been wrong..
    I took it to the independent dealer they couldnt fault the car only needed updates they told me ...mmmmmmmm
    They did say at this point everything is upto date but your battery lead has a old part number but we wont change it because we aren't able to fault it
    I Got the car back and it was ok for maybe a week or more then this time i was on my way to work in RAIN ,arrived in the car park pressed the stop button and all life was gone again,Key stuck in ignition doors locked no lights anywhere.
    i was trapped in the bloody car i reached over to the passenger side that door was open ,as i was trying to workout how to get out it all came back on,
    That night drove home fine..

The next time i had issues was about 3 days later going home in rain again (didnt we have some rain ) on cruise 70ish ABS Warning came on Driver Assist ?? came on drive with care cruise went off I Drive screen flashed went off and back on again... no engine issues car was driving.
    Parked car on the drive when i got home turned it off straight back on and all fault and error were gone.

Te car went in a total of 3 times and no faults where found i was now getting worried i spent hours on the net my head was buzzing what is this gunner cost ,the dealer told me if the fault appears again it will have to go to the main dealer we have spent hours on it and found nothing all areas of the car that do sometimes get water in are bone dry.

It Happened again on the drive one morning opened the car with the fob put gear in the boot put key in ignition pressed start button DEAD all lights went off key stuck in the ignition.
    It was like this for hours so thi independent said we will get it recovered an have a look as this time it wasnt coming back on ,when it arrived at the dealer ............It drove off the truck Greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

It Stopped there over the new year while i spent a lot of time on the net again but through all the rubbish i noticed IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor)
    I thought whats that then ,common fault ,allowing moisture in , updated twice from 2005...,this got me thinking.
    After the holidays i rang the ind dealer and asked whats this IBS he said its that cable that i told you about !!! ,but we wont change it because it might not fix the issue because the fault you are discribing dont really point to it been that .

To cut a very long story slightly short i bit the bullet and payed for the IBS replacing ,i have had the car back now around a week and nothing has happend yet the car feel loads better and i have just done around 20 mile in the rain not a fault

I Used to get the battery drain warning while stationary thats gone too

I know its a bit long winded but you never get all detail when you search the net and i am now 99% certain the fault is cured

Parts Fitted

12427603567 IBS Battery Lead
    61129123572 IBS Adaptor Lead
    12517615476 Adapter Lead
    61366901469 Relay

Car is a 05 (55) 530D Touring

Good Luck

UPDATE STILL HAD NO ISSUES AND WE HAVE HAD LOADS OF SNOW FINGERS CROSSED.... 01.02.13
    Last edited by Shaun Schofield; 01-02-2013 at 22:59.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Boggis's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530D SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    so what was the damage with all the bits changed? I'm having horrendous problems with my car spontaneously popping up error messages, the whole car died electrically today, stuck on a jump pack, off she went with no issues at all (apart from the date reset which hasn't happened before)

I regularly get ABS / trans failure messages, RFT sensor failure, window anti trap function failure but a switch off/on cures it so i was looking at the IBS myself. I had read that you can just disconnect it but haven't a clue how...

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E61 530D
    Year of Manufacture:
    2005 (55)
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Did hear about disconnecting myself but was told not to,I think because then you could have overcharging issues like you have no idea how anyway.
    It would have cost a fortune if i had gone to Main Dealer ,as the independent dealer didnt charge me for all the time he had spent trying to find it (8Hrs) only charged me for labour to fitting and parts total £316.00
    There was a risk that this wouldnt cure it but i was over 90% convinced from all the info i looked through that it was that , in my case i has 2 options pay for this doing and hope it worked or spend thousands on another car when really i didnt want another so it was worth the risk.

Your problems are similar to mine and i would probably try changing it

One other thing if you have it checked and its got an old part number on it this means its been modifield/ superseeded due to issues. Mine was out of date but when it was checked it didnt show a fault

Hope this helps
    Shaun

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Boggis's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530D SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    its dead old, the unsealed variety - i've just unplugged the bloody thing... different car although it is only a day after everything reset to 0's seems to pick up better and go better as well, maybe that's just me but it feels fine!!! i was due to leave it friday / saturday at my local indy but i think i'll put him off a week to see if its OK...

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E61 530D
    Year of Manufacture:
    2005 (55)
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Ok hope all goes well please post and let us know..
    Shaun

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Boggis's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530D SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    still no faults, IBS diss... thought I had a case closed here but have been made aware that there is a DDE relay (sky blue in colour) that can fail sporadically that supplies power to the ecu and can also result in the same errors and warnings etc - it only costs about £13 for the relay and appears to be an easy swap, in the main ecu housing under the pollen filter passenger side. Think i'm gonna replace this and reattach the IBS just to see...