BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

318ti Suspected Key Fault

1K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  TheEnd 
#1 ·
Hey All,

I went to use my car the other day and it simply wouldn't start. Thing is there was something odd going on which leads me to believe it is electrical in nature and possibly key related.

I unlocked the car with the key by pressing the open button on the key NOT using the key in the door lock. Got in, popped the key into the ignition turned it to on. Firstly I noticed that the stereo didn't turn on which it normally does if left on. Went to try to actually start the car and nothing happened, it didn't even attempt to turn over the starter motor. I also noticed that the little light on the stereo was still periodically flashing like the alarm hadn't been turned off or the immobiliser is still active.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm really not a car person, I get in and go if it doesn't go I call someone ... I know, I know crap but I do have other useful skills that don't involve spanners and such :)

Thanks in advance ...

Jammer

#8 ·
Hey, I can't get the radio to come on at all. I'm going to try charging the battery first and see if that makes any difference. I don't know much if anything about electrics in this car, will a "normal" 12v car battery charger be sufficient to do the job? I just checked the battery and I believe (BMW branded) that it may well be the original from the factory (in a 2002 ti!) ...

#10 ·
Just thought I'd give an update on this. It was a flat battery! Charged it up and it's all good again.

I've got one question though. I've definitely got a problem somewhere as my alarm is going nuts, if I lock it with the key fob it sets the alarm on but the alarm seems to go off occasionally for no reason (I think this is how the battery was knackard) and the only lock on the drivers door is busted. Is there any way of locking it with the key fob and NOT enabling the alarm?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.